News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz - 2009

Hello Gentlemans

My answers-

1.Monument to soldiers of countries - participants of an antihitlerite coalition

2.Moscow, mountain Poklonnaja

3.Michail Perejaslavec,Михаил Переяславец(see photo)

Was born in Moscow in 1949.

The graduate of the Moscow art Surikov institute

Member of the Union of Artists of the USSR.

4.Monument to Vasily Surikov, Nikolay Kuznetsov, Memorial board with the sculptural composition, devoted to the first performance of songs " Sacred war ", a monument to commandoes

5.The ambassador the USA in Russia Alexander Vershbou and Jury Luzhkov

Regards

Ilja

Hi Ilja,

First, Welcome to the Quiz !!!!!! :jumping::jumping: It is always a pleasure to welcome a newcomer, here. I hope you will take interest and fun in playing (and learning) with us!!! :beer:

Second, about your answers :

Unfortunately it is not the one I am looking for, but you are not so far... somewhere.

As far as I know the statue you are mentioning, in Victory Park, has been inaugurated in the 8th of May 2005, not on the official day of the celebrations. And, no head of State has taken part to this ceremony...

So, sorry, it is not the right answer. :rolleyes:

Well done, guys. Good tries... Let's continue...

Cheers.

Ch.

• Replies 385
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations to those who are active here that this thread seems to remain the most active in this sub-forum.

This may say a lot. :unsure:

:beer:

Thanks top you and all of us, Ed. :beer:

The Quiz 2009 is really very active and dynamic after a few days only of existence. Great!!! Let's keep he good work!!! Congrats to all!!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

(...) Well, I have never been to Moscow ... :blush:

(...)Christian

Hi again Christian,

Might I suggest, if nothing prevents you to do so, and with regards to your (our) field of interest and passion, that you HAVE one day to go there !!!! It is like a trip to Mecca (no offense to Muslims indeed.. ;) ). Go!!!!!!

Cheers.

Ch.

Excuse for my mistake.

My new answer:

1.This is Charles De Gaulle monument

2.Moscow, hotel KOSMOS

3.Authors of a monument - sculptor Zurab Konstantinovich Tsereteli and architect A.V.Kuzmin.

Zurab Konstantinovich Tsereteli was born on January, 4, 1934 in Tbilisi

4.Ensemble on mountain Poklonnoj, Мaneghnaja ploshad, a monument Peter the Great.

5.At opening ceremony of a monument there was a president of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin and the president of France Jacque Chirac.

Regards

Ilja

Congratulations to those who are active here that this thread seems to remain the most active in this sub-forum.

This may say a lot. :unsure:

:beer:

I may not know the answers (So Far) but I'm learning a lot from this. It's a GREAT tool!!!

:beer: Doc

Excuse for my mistake.

My new answer:

1.This is Charles De Gaulle monument

2.Moscow, hotel KOSMOS

3.Authors of a monument - sculptor Zurab Konstantinovich Tsereteli and architect A.V.Kuzmin.

Zurab Konstantinovich Tsereteli was born on January, 4, 1934 in Tbilisi

4.Ensemble on mountain Poklonnoj, Мaneghnaja ploshad, a monument Peter the Great.

5.At opening ceremony of a monument there was a president of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin and the president of France Jacque Chirac.

Regards

Ilja

Hi Ilja,

Congratulations !!! :jumping::jumping: These are perfect answers!!! I'm happy you win this one for your first participation to the Quiz!!!

Zurab Tsereteli is the author of a number of "spectacular" statues in Moscow including the ones below : two of Victory Park and the one of Peter the Great.

Ilja, your turn now for the next challenge.

Cheers.

Ch.

Thanks Doc, for your compliments and appreciation about the Quiz. :beer:

The 2009 edition of the Quiz is running fast : here are a few stats :

Quiz 2009 :

* 6 questions asked,

* with 55 answers,

* and viewed more than 280 times.

Nb of good answers for the Quiz 2009 :

* 2 : Auke (Ferdinand) & Christophe

* 1 : Christian (Zulus) & Ilja (ilja559)

Complete statistics since this Quiz has been launched (on 1 Nov. 2005) :

* 226 questions asked,

* with 2,834 answers,

* This quiz has been viewed more than 31,420 times.

* 45 Members of the Forum played, and 33 correctly answered at least 1 question :

Nb of good answers :

* 42 : Christian (Zulus) & Christophe

* 17 : Frank (Knarf)

* 13 : Jim (JimZ)

* 11 : Auke (Ferdinand), Bryan (Soviet) & Marc (Lapa)

* 10 : Dan (Hauptman)

* 8 : Simon (Red Threat)

* 6 : Belaruski, Carol I & Ed (Haynes)

* 5 : Wild Card.

* 3 : Alex (RedMaestro), Andreas (Alfred), Ivan (Piramida), Kim (Kimj) & Marco (marcotk).

* 2 : Chuck (in Oregon), Gerd (Becker), Jan (vatjan) & Order of Victory.

* 1 : Brendan (ANZAC), Charles (Hunyadi), Darrell, Daredevil, Dave (Navy FCO), Dudeman, Eddie (Taz), Filip (Drugo), Ilja (ilja559), Rick (Stogieman) & Steen (Ammentorp).

This is a great achievement. Thanks to all for your participation in this Quiz. :beer:

Now, let's play for the 227th question, Ilja's !! :jumping::jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

I shall have time to ask my question before departure. It not difficult, but I think interesting.

1.This person has been awarded with the Order of Labor Red Banner for oustanding participation in the organization of rescue of scientific expedition led by academician O.J.Schmidt making navigation by Soviet steamship "Cheljuskin" in 1934.

2.In 1937 for flight to North Pole and landing of Papanin scientific expedition been awarded with the Order of Lenin.

3.During the Finnish war of 1940 been awarded with the Order of Red Star.

Who this person?

NB.I ask my colleagues from Russia to not give fast reply. :rolleyes:

Regards.

Ilja

Edited by ilja559

Might he be Mikhail Vasilyevich Vodopianov ?

Mikha?l Vodopianov (Михаил Васильевич Водопьянов) (November 18 1899 - August 11 1980) was a Soviet aircraft pilot, one of the first Heroes of the Soviet Union, and a Major General of the Soviet Air Force.

He was born on November 18 (November 6 Old Style) 1899 in Studyonka village (now in Lipetsk town borders). He served voluntarily with the Soviet Army from 1919 and took part in a Russian Civil War. Initially, he was a driver in an airforce unit. From 1925 he trained as an aircraft mechanic, and in 1928 he became a pilot himself. He worked then in a state commercial aviation on long distances, among others, first flying to Sakhalin. From 1931 he also worked for Pravda newspaper, distributing its matrix from Moscow to other cities by the air.

In 1934, he participated in the Arctic rescue operation of the crew of the sunken steamship Cheliuskin on the frozen Chukchi Sea . Vodopianov was awarded the title of the Hero of the Soviet Union for this deed on April 20, 1934, as one of 7 first recipients of the title. Then, he commanded an expedition of four aircraft Tupolev TB-3, being the first to land on the North Pole on May 21, 1937, carrying parts and crew for an Arctic station.

During World War II, from July 1941 he was the commander of the long range bomber division, named the 81st Special Purpose Air Division. He commanded the first Soviet air raid on Berlin on August 10/11, 1941. On return way, his Petlyakov Pe-8 heavy bomber was shot down by the Flak and crash landed in Estonia, on no man's land between front lines. He and his crew managed to break through to the Soviet side. Vodopianov was dismissed from the commanding post as a result of big losses in this raid, but he continued to serve as a bomber pilot (main reasons of big losses were aircraft failures and a hurry in preparations, caused by Stalin's order). In 1943 he was promoted to a Major General.

After the war, in 1946 he was discharged from armed forces, and turned to writing in Moscow. He was awarded the Order of Lenin and Order of the Red Banner four times each and the Order of the Patriotic War 1st class.

Many children grew up with his book "The polar pilot" that has described not only his path to aviation, but also the further adventures of his plane in the revolutionary Spain, as well as the description of the Cheliuskin rescue and his participation in the War.

Ch.

Let's try someone else...

Akkuratov, Valentin Ivanovitch (born 1909) ?

soviet polar aviator, honored navigator of Soviet Union. Participated in winter and great patriotic wars. Worked as a navigator of arctic expeditions of gydrographic directorate of Glavseveromorput. In polar aviation from 1935. Participated in Papanin expedition to North Pole (1937), search for Levanevskii (1937-1938), first passenger flight on the rout Moscow-USA-Moscow (1941). 1949-1971 chief navigator of polar aviation.

Ch.

Gentlemen,

the comrade in question has to be a member of Mikhail Vasilyevich Vodopianov crew in 1937 - either a pilot or navigator - and he is NOT the navigator Valentin Ivanovitch Akkuratov.

He is one of the comrades in the fine uniforms at this photo-strip:

His role in the "North-Pole-Event-1937" had been an important one, because he got a Lenin for his contribution.

Well, it's difficult - or impossible - without researching in cyrillic letters and in Russian language to get hold of this comrade :( .

Best regards :beer:

Christian