News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz - 2009

• Replies 385
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A hideous order especially given the proportion of the medal to the ribbon.

I just cannot seem to get used to the orders of the Russian Federation!

Maybe in time when I get to hold and fondle them..... but not just yet.

• 1 month later...

Hi to all,

I was away for a while, and the Quiz has been very very quiet these last weeks... :(

Will try to reactivate it... with your help !! :beer:

Time for a few stats :

Quiz 2009 :

* 20 questions asked,

* with 205 answers,

* and viewed more than 2,510 times.

Nb of good answers for the Quiz 2009 :

* 6 : Christophe

* 4 : Ilja (ilja559)

* 3 : Auke (Ferdinand)

* 2 : Alex (RedMaestro)

* 1 : Christian (Zulus), Doc (Riley1965), Simon (SU1977) & Wild Card

Complete statistics since this Quiz has been launched (on 1 Nov. 2005) :

* 240 questions asked,

* with 2,984 answers,

* This quiz has been viewed more than 38,900 times.

* 46 Members of the Forum played, and 34 correctly answered at least 1 question :

Nb of good answers :

* 46 : Christophe

* 42 : Christian (Zulus)

* 17 : Frank (Knarf)

* 13 : Jim (JimZ)

* 12 : Auke (Ferdinand)

* 11 : Bryan (Soviet) & Marc (Lapa)

* 10 : Dan (Hauptman)

* 8 : Simon (Red Threat)

* 6 : Belaruski, Carol I, Ed (Haynes) & Wild Card.

* 5 : Alex (RedMaestro)

* 4 : Ilja (ilja559)

* 3 : Andreas (Alfred), Ivan (Piramida), Kim (Kimj) & Marco (marcotk).

* 2 : Chuck (in Oregon), Gerd (Becker), Jan (vatjan) & Order of Victory.

* 1 : Brendan (ANZAC), Charles (Hunyadi), Darrell, Daredevil, Dave (Navy FCO), Doc (Riley1965), Dudeman, Eddie (Taz), Filip (Drugo), Rick (Stogieman), Simon (SU1977) & Steen (Ammentorp).

This is a great achievement. Thanks to all for your participation in this Quiz. :beer:

Now, let's play for the 241st question, mine !! :jumping::jumping:

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Question #241

Look at this ruined building. Something tragic happened here...

1. Where is this building ?

2. What happened there ?

3. With what tragic consequence ?

4. When ?

The winner is the first one able to answer the 4 questions.

Good hunt and good luck !! :rolleyes:

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Quiz is Running out of steam it seems! So lets see if we can push it along that little bit more.

"This is the <Baikanour> hangar where a drama occured exactly 7 years ago, beginning of May 2002.

The roof of this hangar collapsed, with 8 dead workers as a consequence.

Several reasons have been given for this accident : something falling on one of the massive fuel tanks kept inside the hangar, which would have produced a huge blast of air that caused the roof to swell and collapse, or a design miscalculation when the building, built in the 1960s, was renovated in the 1980s.

The hangar was originally built for the Soviet moon exploration program and was later used for assembling Energia booster rockets and the Buran. A full-scale test model of the Buran was trapped beneath debris after the collapse.

Ch."

Thanks Christophe.

Taking the idea from a previous question, lets see if this generates any interest.

The group below belonged to a high ranking Soviet - just that parts of it have been lost - OOPS!!!

We can try to find them if you say something about this group that is relevant to it.

It will get easier as it progresses - but to get more of the picture, you must tell me something relevant. And when you do, I will reveal other parts of the hidden picture - but not necessarily what you have mentioned.

Hopefully, and I say hopefully, the final pictures will yield sufficient information for the group to be distinguished and identified with relative ease once the major pieced have been found!

Good luck.

Ok Jim, Good idea.

I say our man is not a Marshall of the Soviet Union.

Ch.

Not a marshall of the Soviet Union..... Cause that would be too easy!!!

And a man? .... yes a man!

I want somthing bigger this time - tell me something about the group or the recipient. Maybe how many Lenins and red banners in total?

Or perhaps something about the lower boxes - they seem too small for suspension orders/medal.... mmm... Its gotta be something BIG though for me to uncover the next part of the puzzle.

He was probably born around the turn of the century, joined the Red Army in 1918, fought near Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad, fought both against the Germans and the Japanese, rose to high rank, wasn't in the navy, and died between 1968 and 1975...

Not big enough, right? Well... I say he was an army officer who got an Order of Kutuzov.

I'm thinking there's a Nevsky and a couple of OGPW's hiding down at the bottom. :unsure:

This is a great idea by the way... like our very own game show! Makes me want to buy a vowel or something! :cheeky::beer:

Dan :cheers:

He was probably born around the turn of the century, joined the Red Army in 1918, fought near Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad, fought both against the Germans and the Japanese, rose to high rank, wasn't in the navy, and died between 1968 and 1975...

From the medal bar I'd have said pretty much the same but I would not have mentioned the navy - but you are right, he was not in the navy. Yes, born turn of the century and died in the indicated range. Well done.

Not big enough, right? Well... I say he was an army officer who got an Order of Kutuzov.

Not completely right but not completely wrong either.

I'm thinking there's a Nevsky and a couple of OGPW's hiding down at the bottom. :unsure:

Are you thinking that Dan? Lets uncover a few of the goodies at the bottom then!

This is a great idea by the way... like our very own game show! Makes me want to buy a vowel or something! :cheeky::beer:

Dan :cheers:

Dan, I'll trade you the vowel for a Nevsky or even a couple of OGPW's!!! Heck for A Nevsky or a couple of OGPW's I'll give you the answer :cheeky:

Glad you're enjoying it!

So... not as helpful as you'd be expecting but this is what I am throwing at you next.

No Kutuzov (yet? - perhaps?)

No Nevsky (yet? - perhaps?)

No OGPWs (yet? - perhaps?)

Some foreign decorations. Disappointed?

More effort - More info.... come on..... We're heading down the right path (perhaps?)....

Lost of goodies still concealed and they'll only come out with more info on your part! Keep guessing.

Who is going to take the next shot?