News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

173rd Brigade Royal Field Artillery WW 1

I'm looking particularly for location of subordinate batteries around the dates of June-July 1917.

What I already know: Was part of CLXXIII (East Ham) Brigade: War Raised Unit; Formed at East Ham in 1915 and consisted of A, B, C and D Batteries; 36th (Ulster) Division. The Division moved to France 3-6 Oct 1915; Divisional Artillery remained in England until November 1915.

My interest revolves around KIA 3 July 1917 Gunner William J. Marsh, L/22283 RFA:

CWGC - [in Memory of Gunner W J MARSH, 22283, "B" Bty. 173rd Bde., Royal Field Artillery, who died on 03 July 1917; Husband of Mrs. H. E. Marsh, of 34, Peacock St., Newington Butts, London. Remembered with honor LONE TREE CEMETERY.] {This cemetery was started in June 1917 after the first day of the Battle of Messines, it contains the burials of 88 men, many of whom served with the Royal Irish Rifles, 36th (Ulster) Division, most of these men were tragically killed when they left their trench early and were killed by the blast and debris from the detonation of the Lone Tree mine. This cemetery stands close to the Lone Tree Crater, now renamed the 'Pool of Peace'.}

Given Marsh's connection to the LONE TREE CEMETARY, his unit most probably participated in the 36th Div's action during the Battle of Messines, 7-14 Jun 1917. His death was a couple weeks later, but I've found no significant action on 3 July.

Anything of help regarding the unit history, locations, rosters etc of the 173rd Bde RFA (especially B Battery) would be appreciated.

• 4 months later...

(A)The artillery of 36th Division have quite a complicated background as the originally designated Brigades on it's formation in Ireland;- CXLII; CXLIII; CXLIV; CXLV were never formed.

(B)In their place a new series of Brigades were allocated to the Division after it moved to England in 1915, these being;-

CLIII(Empire)Bde,R.F.A.;-'A', 'B', 'C' & 'D' Batteries.

CLXXII(West Ham)Bde,R.F.A.;- 'A', 'B', 'C' & 'D' Batteries.

CLXXIII(East Ham)Bde,R.F.A.;- 'A', 'B', 'C', 'D' Batteries.

CLIV(H)(Empire)Bde,R.F.A.;-'A'(H), 'B'(H), 'C'(H) & 'D'(H) Batteries.

©When the Division left for France in October 1915 none of the earlier Bdes went with them and temporarily attached were the following Territorial artillery Bdes;-

I London,R.F.A.(T.F.);- 1st(London)Bty, 2nd(London)Bty & 3rd(London)Bty.

II London,R.F.A.(T.F.);- 4th(London)Bty, 5th(London)Bty & 6th(London)Bty

III London,R.F.A.(T.F.);- 7th(London)Bty, 8th(London)Bty & 9th(London)Bty

IV London(H),R.F.A.(T.F.);- 10th(London)(H)Bty & 11th(London)(H)Bty.

Two other Batteries 'B'(H) & 'C'(H), LVII Bde were attached then left.

(D)All of the above Bdes© left the 36th Div by the 11th & 12th December 1915 and the Division was eventually joined by those Bdes mentioned in (B), with some adjustments over a period of time.

After this the change in Batteries/Bdes within 36th Div becomes very complicated and I would recommend you read Beckes "Order of Battle of Divisions - Part 3a & 3b" to absorb the complete reorganisation of the artillery in the Division.

Soldiers Died shows:

Name: William James Marsh

Residence: Camberwell, S.E.

Death Date: 3 Jul 1917

Enlistment Location: Southwark, S.E.

Regiment: Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery

Number: L/22283

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theater of War: Aldershot

(With what I now know to be the online ?Aldershot? glitch for place of death)

Medal Index Card shows:

Entitled to 1914-15 Star, BWM & VM.

Entered France on 12/12/15.

?Dvr? later amended to ?Gnr? L/22283 in the RFA.

Noted ?Dead? with no other detail relating to the death.

Any relationship here?:

Service Records show a William Marsh, 6, Hurlbutt Place, Newington Butts, London SE, a clerk, aged 53 when he enlisted as Pte G/11635 in the Royal West Kents, December 1915.

He volunteered for service under some limited engagement with a special rate of pay.

He was de-mobbed 8/4/20, & died of influenza at his home address, 27, Hurlbutt Place, SE17, on 21/6/20.

Just a shot in the dark, the 1901 Census:

Name: William Marsh

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892

Relation: Son

Father's Name: Alfred

Mother's Name: Jessie

Where born: Southwark, London, England

Civil Parish: Lambeth

Ecclesiastical parish: St Paul

County/Island: London

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Lambeth

Sub-registration district: Waterloo Road

ED, institution, or vessel: 8

Neighbors: View others on page

Household schedule number: 127

Household Members: Name Age

Alfred Marsh 43

Jessie Marsh 35

Alfred Marsh 11

William Marsh 9

Robert Marsh 4

Walter Marsh 2

Elizabeth Marsh 1 month

Graham and leigh - thanks for the additional info; like pieces of a puzzle - bit by bit. I actually haven't looked at Gunner Marsh in some time; good opportunity to stoke the research fires.

• 13 years later...

The locations of the batteries and their observation posts are on P50 of the 36 Division HQRA War diary, as an annex to June 1916.  You can download it from the National Archives WO-95-2495-1-1

I am writing a history and guide  book to artillery on the first day of the Somme and will include a map includign these details.