News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Arlington National Cemetery

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any online resources for searching details on those buried at Arlington National Cemetary in Washington?

I am trying to find details on a Major Murad (Harry) Baig and his family, who were all killed in a fire at the Imperial Hotel in Bangkok in 1971. They were supposedly all buried in a single grave at Arlington.

Baig had been an intelligence officer in Vietnam and then served as an intelligence adviser to the Thai Army. He had an interesting background. His father was the Pakistani Foreign Secretary and he was educated at Clifton in Bristol, England, a school noted for preparing people for Sandhurst. He decided to enlist in the US Marines instead, then earned a commission a few years later and had a very distinguished couple of tours in Vietnam. His wife was the daughter of Count Nicholas de Rochefort, a Russian emigre who worked for the CIA and Voice of America for many years.

Thanks,

James

I have a classmate from the Naval Academy who served with him in the Marine Corps. Remind me of your email address, and I'll get the two of you in touch with each other. I have quite a lengthy write up on Baig; probably too long to include here.

Hugh

• 3 weeks later...

do a google search for serchable online military data a site will come up with VA cemetery grave finder !

scott

Thanks Scott, I would never have thought of just using "VA" in the search terms but it worked. Though the result was a little hit and miss. It gave Baig's daughter and wife

do a google search for serchable online military data a site will come up with VA cemetery grave finder !

scott

Thanks Scott, I would never have thought of just using "VA" in the search terms but it worked. Though the result was a little hit and miss. It gave Baig's daughter and his wife

james i noticed that ! is he not in arlington? also check virtial vietnam wall he may be listed there

Hi Scott,

As far as I was given to understand all three were buried in the same grave, Major Baig, his wife and ten year old daughter.

My guess is that the data entry bod accidentally typed in two entries for the wife instead of one for him. The second entry for the wife said "Baig, Diane Helen W/O Baig, Mirza M" then "UNKNOWN RELATIONSHIP TO VETERAN" "MAJ U.S.M.C."

Obviously a bad hair day!

Cheers,

James