King Albert visit to Brazil - 1920

I think that very few were awarded - just to selected sailors and officers that served in the Cruiser.

Quite right : a not so common medal ! Besides the selected Brasilian crew members, the Belgian delegation on board also received the medal. A number of unawarded surplus ones were discovered in a Brasilian warehouse a few years ago and were "brought home" by a Belgian medal dealer.

A word of warning : quite good copies of this medal do exist.

Ricardo, yours looks fine, even to the ribbon being inverted which is - if I'm not mistaken - the usual error with originals : officially, the green stripe is to the left when viewing the obverse of the medal :-)

If you ever spot another one, feel free to contact me !

Cheers,

Hendrik

this is a very nice Belgian medal and it would be a great match with a medal of "the Royal Household of Albert I"

If you could match this medal with a medal of the Royal Household of Albert I (for foreigners and/or belgians) it would be a beautiful and extremely rare medal set.

Hello Ricardo,

The light colour of the bronze used for the medal (copies are usually darker) and the crown suspension (different shape and solid instead of open with copies).

The medal was originally awarded while wrongly mounted on the ribbon so the yellow stripe being on the right is how the Brasilian sailors would have received it :-)

Example of a copy :

Cheers,

Hendrik

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...