News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello

For Paul (and the others of course), here are two images (with and without flash) of the sleeve liner which features one of my four pockets tunics. This is surely synthetic, isn't it ? I learned (on Wikipedia... don't know if it's a good source :unsure: ) that this kind of fabric (polyamides, including nylon) has been invented by both an american and a german in the thirties and immediately used in textile industry and for parachutes.

On Uniforms and Traditions of Luftwaffe volume 1, it is said that a 1935 order impresses the use of cotton for tunics sleeve liners, but the next orders seem not to be known. So I'm a bit confused.

Any comments about these informations ?

485286sleeveliner1.jpg

237404sleeveliner2.jpg

Thank you.

Edited by New Kid

Hello

For Paul (and the others of course), here are two images (with and without flash) of the sleeve liner which features one of my four pockets tunics. This is surely synthetic, isn't it ? I learned (on Wikipedia... don't know if it's a good source :unsure: ) that this kind of fabric (polyamides, including nylon) has been invented by both an american and a german in the thirties and immediately used in textile industry and for parachutes.

On Uniforms and Traditions of Luftwaffe volume 1, it is said that a 1935 order impresses the use of cotton for tunics sleeve liners, but the next orders seem not to be known. So I'm a bit confused.

Any comments about these informations ?

485286sleeveliner1.jpg

237404sleeveliner2.jpg

Thank you.

Hello!

I am sure that as the war progressed, anything conceivable was used.I have seen camo pieces used for parts of liners!

Hello!

I am sure that as the war progressed, anything conceivable was used.I have seen camo pieces used for parts of liners!

I'm surprised, because I have read that service tunics have not been produced later in the war since they has been replaced by waffenrocks and fliegerbluses ? That's why I asked this in an other thread. Anyway, I think it would not be surprising that polyamide would be used at the beginning of the war. Angolia's book reports that some kind of artificial fibers were quite common before the war. Why not synthetics ? It was new and perhaps considered as modern.

I have french Arm?e de l'Air tunics : one contemporary example (eighties or nineties) and one oldier (perhaps fifties). Each other have the exact same type of fabric for sleeves liner.

So the real question would be : since when it was used on military tunics ? If you tell me that during your interesting collector's experience you saw such items, so it should be ok !

Ok, I did some researches, and this fabric could not be synthetic but only artificial... it could be a variant of the artificial silk/rayon widely used for lining.

IMHO private purchase tunics is a world...contained in the wide world of fabrics and fashion ; if we don't know the second, we don't know the first...

:anmatcat: