News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Another Ribbon Bar

Doc

Some of you seem to find ribbon bars interesting. Here is a set you might like. It is known to me to be real, and is not a made-up set. As you can tell from the green background, it is an Army set. The OLC on the MSM (second row middle) is silver, not bronze. Doc

Edited by Doc

Wow-that oficer (Major/Lt. Col?) has a few stories to tell. :cheers:

Perhaps you know the chap to whom it belongs, Doc? :rolleyes:

Can you tell us how some of the medals were earned?

Edited by Ulsterman

I agree!! There is a lot of high level stuff in there. I would guess him to be a Col or higher! I would guess that the National Defense medals are for the Viet Nam/Desert Storm eras, as I do not see a Global War on Terror Service Medal.

Here?s what I ?see?.

Significant time in service on active duty (No reserve component awards).

Based on 6 Overseas service ribbons (awarded for service where no campaign medals are authorized) = 3 to 6 years.

Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal ? likely another year ? clearly overseas.

Defense of Korea ? same rationale as the Expeditionary Medal ? 1 year.

Desert Storm ? another year.

Tally 5 to 8 years overseas.

Army ? based on uniform ? this officer has seen joint service time so were it not for the green uniform (out of vogue now?) the Army commendation medal could have been a rose thrown while wearing the ?purple suit?.

Could be almost any branch but I suspect combat support or combat service support. I base this on multiple Humanitarian Service awards and no awards for valor or Air Medals.

Twelve awards for Meritorious Service suggest officer and a senior one. That much overseas time plus at least the same amount of CONUS time plus Officer Basic, Advanced Course and C&GS tells me he had at least 18 to 20 years when this rack was worn.

I?m thinking senior Lt. Col. or Colonel. Legion of Merit is often awarded at the end of a battalion command tour and the Defense Superior Service Medal also suggests at least that rank.

This puppy could have all the checks in the right places for promotion to general officer status if he/she has had successful battalion and brigade equivalent command time. Of course the odds are long for that considering that the Army promotes 50 or so a year from about 4,000 colonels.

Pretty good guesses. Yep, I know to whom they belong.

Medical Corps Colonel, Active service 1971-2001. 3 successful Brigade-equivalent O6 commands (one as O5) + one at O5 level as O4. Major Command Staff. Combatant Command Staff (Joint). Corps Staff. NATO Staff (Joint). 19+ years overseas. Humanitarian missions-- Rwanda, Tunisia. Joint Service Combat Time.

Edited by Doc

Hmmmmm...pretty cool career. Perhaps some decent time spent at NATO HQ as well.

... a non sequiter:

Any chance you ever get out to the battlefield of Waterloo?

Sure, that's only 20 miles down the road.

any pics? Esp. of Hougomont? We'd love to see them in the Napoleonic forum-esp. with those Hanovarian medals.

Not a war I am interested in, so though I have visited the battlefield several times, I haven't paid much attention to detail. What exactly are you looking for photos of? I might be able to get some the next time I am down that way.

Doc

The Chataeu, esp. the orchard's remains on the lower right of the British line-bottom of the (now much flatter ) ridge/troop line.

There's a thread in the Napoleonic subforum that shows several medals earned in those small, very bloody areas of battle ground.

There are several chateaux and fortified farms in the area. Is it Hougemont you are specifically interested in? As regards the orchard, as I said I am not very interested in this particular war, so would need some guidance as to how to find what you are looking for and how to identify it. Any GPS locations, or markings on a map you could send me?