News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SIGNVM MEMORIAE MEDALS

Kev in Deva

Hi Gentlemen,

Medal with inscription FRANC. IOS. I.D.G.IMP. AVSTR. REX BOH. ETC. AC. AP. REX. HVNG and red ribbon is military version. It was awarded in two grades ? I. class which was made from gold and was dwarfed by A-H eagle and II. class which was made from bronze without eagle (your medal). Gold medal received all persons with 50 active service years in army (till 2. December 1898). Bronze medal received all person (military or police) who was in active service during reign of emperor FJI.

Medal with inscription FRANC. IOS. I.D.G. IMP. AVST. REX. BOH. ETC. ET. REX. AP. HVNG is civil version for public servants who was active in 1898. It was awarded in one bronze grade on red/white ribbon (half/half).

About 5 000 000 of bronze medals was awarded.

Ladis

Edited by Ladis

Hi Gentlemen,

Medal with inscription FRANC. IOS. I.D.G.IMP. AVSTR. REX BOH. ETC. AC. AP. REX. HVNG and red ribbon is military version. It was awarded in two grades ? I. class which was made from gold and was dwarfed by A-H eagle and II. class which was made from bronze without eagle (your medal). Gold medal received all persons with 50 active service years in army (till 2. December 1898). Bronze medal received all person (military or police) who was in active service during reign of emperor FJI.

Medal with inscription FRANC. IOS. I.D.G. IMP. AVST. REX. BOH. ETC. ET. REX. AP. HVNG is civil version for public servants who was active in 1898. It was awarded in one bronze grade on red/white ribbon (half/half).

About 5 000 000 of bronze medals was awarded.

Ladis

Hallo Ladis :beer:

thanks for your reply, can you post any source for your information with regards this topic,

as it's an argument I have come across before, Civil - Military v. Manufacture.

Also do you have any pictures of the Gold version you mention?

Thank you,

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hallo,

One of my source is book Rady a vyznamenani Habsburske monarchie (Orders and decorations of Habsburg monarchy) written by Ivan Kolacny (ISBN 80-902745-9-5). I have only bronze medals in my collection, but I can post picture of gold medal from this book at evening.

Ladis

Hello

This russian page talk about a special serie of this medal only for members of the Imperial and Hungarian Court:

http://ah.milua.org/awords/medall/1898.htm

In three classes: Gold, Silver and bronze, with different ribbon shapes as this for civilian personal of the court:

Hallo Boris :beer:

does it happen to show, or do you have a picture for the back of the medal?

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Hello,

just to add some more reference sources about the differences between the military and civil 1898 Jubilee Medals, these are also indicated in the following works:

H. v. Heyden: "Ehren-Zeichen der erloschenen und bl?henden Staaten Deutschlands und Oesterreich-Ungarns - II. Nachtrag 1898-1906"; Frankfurt a.M., 1906

W.H.edl. v. Hessenthal - G. Schreiber: "Die tragbaren Ehrenzeichen des Deutschen Reiches"; Berlin, 1940

Vaclav Měřička: "Orden und Ehrenzeichen der Oesterreichisch Ungarischen Monarchie"; Vienna, Schroll, 1974;

Jos. v. Falkenstien (Dan Ragsdale): "Imperial Austrian Medals and Decorations"; Tucson, 1972

R. frhr. v. Proch?zka: "Oesterreichisches Ordenshandbuch - Gro?e Ausgabe", vol. 2; Munich, 1979

J. Stolzer - Chr. Steeb (et alia): "Oesterreichs Orden"; Graz, ADEVA, 1996.

All the mentioned books can be considered as a "basis" to the study of Austrian Phaleristic.

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Edited by Elmar Lang

Hello Boris,

the strange ribbon has been wrongly attributed to the medal. Actually, the ribbon looks well post-1918 and with colours resembling those of the Order of the German Eagle.

"AC" is another latin form of the conjunction "ET", similarly with "ATQUE" where "atque" can mean "and also...".

The other medal, with the cyrillic text is the jubilee medal for the members of the Russian Kexholm Guards Regiment, one of the regiments where Franz Josef was "Oberst-Inhaber".

Best wishes,

Enzo

P.S.: ok, some books, when out-of-print can be difficult to obtain, but "Oesterreichs Orden" can be directly ordered at the OeGO, www.ordenskunde.at

Edited by Elmar Lang

Hello Kevin in Deva, if you have some information about this particular I would be very glad to receive it because I have not idea. I have put the "visual", you can help me if you want.

Regards

Hallo Boris, :cheers:

I must say I have never come across any information on a "widows award at all"

The ribbon shown reminds me of the "Ansclu?medaillen f?r ?sterreich, zur Erinnerung an den 13 Marz 1938."

Kevin in Deva :cheers: