The attached was described as being Ukrainian police from the WWII period. I'd be grateful for any information confirming the nationality and organisation and also anything on the rank. This is as clear as the detail gets - the detail on the cap insignia isn't any more visible on the original.

My references on this sort of organisation are a bit limited - are there any good ones (internet or books?)

Thanks,

James

Have looked through the Ukrainien section of David Littlejohns 'Foreign Legions of the Third Reich' volume 4 but cant find any similarities in the uniform shown. The Ukrainien badges seem to usually feathure the 'trident' in them somewhere which is either missing from your man or is obscured. Sorry cant be of more help.

Thanks for the steer everyone - he is Croatian. The collar tabs are for an army Zastavnik (Officer Cadet or Ensign). The larger insignia on the cap is the NDH cockade. I still don't know what the smaller badge is though.

regards,

James

• 3 weeks later...

hrvatsko domobranstvo-home guard,regular army of indepence state of croatia

indepence state of croatia-nezavisna dr?ava hrvatska

this small button whit AP letters wearing ustasha fighters

AP is Ante Pavelic-fuhrer of NDH

ustasha fighters are elite party army like SS in germany

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Blog Comments

• Lapsang Souchong, when i first tasted this I thought it was like stale cigarette ends...it's an acquired taste for sure.  
    • I like my tea strong enough for my spoon to stand up in. My father got me into it. When my father was at RAF Dum Dum 1943-47 most of his fellow officers drank ice cold drinks to mitigate  the heat, his Sikh batman warned him against it and said that strong hot tea would cool him down, most certainly did. So years later in the UK when everybody else was drinking iced drinks on a baking day the wood family was inbibing copious quantities of hot strong brews of Assam's finest. P
    • Hi ccj, Thanks for your comments. Funny how, for me at least, coffee has become a habit more than a conscience choice. It's the old, "Well if you having one (coffee) pour me as well". When I get together with my son-in-law, a former Brit, it's tea all the way. Thanks again. Regards Brian  
    • I live and grew up in the south (USA) and the drink of choice 7 days a week was cold sweet tea. I was unaware Lipton was British because that’s what most southern use for brewing tea. When I joined the army I learned most people in the north and western parts of the USA drank unsweetened tea and that was perplexing to my young brain. Now days I can’t stand sweet iced tea but it’s still the most common drink in the south, but, you can get unsweetened ice tea in the south. Im familiar with ho
    • I drink tea every day (Chinese tea), I used to buy Sri Lankan black tea at the fair before, it was great! I have been reluctant to drink them all. . The tea I’m talking about is just brewing water, not adding other substancesI