News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Regiment identification.

Hello there again. As you were all so helpful last time I visited, I was wondering if you may be able to help me again. My close friend wants to identify the regiments of family members, that the family have no record of. I was hoping, therefore, if you may be able to do so.

The photos of his family are below.

Mikesrelly.jpg

mikesrellysitting-1.jpg

mikesgdadband.jpg

Many, many thanks in adavance.

Ivan Carpenter on behalf of M McGlynn.

Number 1 is definately Machine Gun Corp, Number 2 could be The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, but with the angle that the photo has been taken its difficult to be exact and as for number 3, I think a close up of the bass drum would be the best starting point for a positive identification.

Looking closer at the MG badge, it seems like there?s a backing to it. Could that narrow the field a little bit? Is there a connection between photo 1 and 2? Would a Scottish MG unit wear a peaked cap or a bonnet, and if a cap, would they then wear a tartan backing to it?

/GRA

On picture number 2, is that a shell in front of him?

My friend has just told me, he has been told one of his relatives (grand-father?) was in the GSC '44-'45 and Royal Pioneer Corps '45-'48ish? Any connection to the 2nd picture, or is the dress too early?

Thanks.

Edited by Ivan

No 1 has got a Tam o' Shanter, carefully placed so as to show the badge to advantage - the MG Corps badge was produced in white metal as well as yellow metal, one theory is that it may have been worn in white metal by Scottsh units (another is that the white metal version was an officer's cheap substitute for silver).

Are his putties wound from the top or bottom?

No. 2 is wearing a marksmans crossed rifles badge over a good conduct stripe, above a wound stripe.

No. 3 - Royal Artillery? It's hard to make out cap badges & officers collar dogs without magnification.

There's some wordng on the drum, "MILITARY" something or other.

No. 2 is wearing a marksmans crossed rifles badge over a good conduct stripe, above a wound stripe

If that IS a fired shell No.2 is sitting behind... could that be the source of his wound stripe?? Sorry if I sound a bit of a div.... this isn't my field of expertise!

Regards

ivan.

Leigh, do you think no 3 could be a Military School of Music, various cap badges being worn along with the marking on the drum?

I was'nt even sure thy had different badges, thought they were artillery - a close up of the drum should identify them by the look of it - I can't remember when the school got its own cap badge.

I've tried magnifying the drum, but a better quality scan is required.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Any chance of that close up of the bass drum in photo 3 please Ivan :cheers:

Will obtain said piccie tomorrow and do a higher quality scan. Appropriate smiley by the way. My friend (whose photos they are) is the landlord of a 17th century pub!! :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers: :cheers: