Help with picture, PLEASE

Riley1965

Hi Doc,

Looks a little like a Policeman.

Can we get a bigger picture?.

Thanks

George

That's the best picture I can get. I want to say Cossak but since the ID is for a member of another forum I want to know exactly what he is. Rick & Ed seem to know so I hope to hear from them.

:beer: Doc

Mounted (military?) police.

There is a scene in "Zhivago" where 1905 street demonstrators walk into a curb-to-curb ambush by mounted police who draw sabers and hack them up while trompling over them. Fairly standard urban riot control back then.

The big scroll over the "gerb" cockade seems to be the characteristic of tsarist police, from what little I know.

Hey Doc

I'm in Tbilisi right now with my good friend and historian Boria. He says your guy is Russian gendarmes, police cavalry command, post-1907. If you can post a closer scan, he'll try to ID shoulder straps and details for you if he can.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck!!! I've tried resizing the pic..no joy. I don't have the pic it belongs to a member of another forum. I'll ask him to send me a better scan. This thumbnail is just too small to work with.

:beer: Doc