Sometimes a relic is more than just a relic...

The below pictured are a set of Sonderabteilung der Luftwaffe insignia that are in my collection. As you can see, there was a previous Roman numeral that was picked out and replaced with another signifying Luftgau XI.

After a closer look, the removed number looks like it was the Roman number 7 (VII).

After looking for a while on the net, I found that the Air War Districts(Luftgau) were not set in stone!

The roots of Luftgau XI are as follow:

Formed 1.4.36 in Hannover, initially known as Luftgau-Kommando Hannover.

In 1.9.36 it was renamed verst?rkter Luftgau-Kommando Braunschweig.

In 6.10.36, it was organized as Luftkreis-Kommando VII. (when the straps were first made).

The unit was reformed 1.4.37 and returned to Hannover. In 12.10.37 it was renamed Luftgau-Kommando IX

Finally, in 4.2.38 it was renamed Luftgau-Kommando XI(where the straps were updated).

http://www.ww2.dk/ground/hq/lg9.htm

I find little things like this fascinating. Please forgive my enthusiasm!

The below pictured are a set of Sonderabteilung der Luftwaffe insignia that are in my collection. As you can see, there was a previous Roman numeral that was picked out and replaced with another signifying Luftgau XI.

After a closer look, the removed number looks like it was the Roman number 7 (VII).

I find little things like this fascinating. Please forgive my enthusiasm!

I quite agree! To quote Arty Johnson, "Verrry Intersting". Especially that, even pre-war the Luftwaffe was re-using and re-cycling, either officially or otherwise, rather than simply issuing new straps. Would that have had to do with the way the straps were sewn into the tunic, or a way to save money?

Peter