News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Well I thought I would post a scan of a CDV that I have of one identified as "Prince Imperial of Germany". I admit that I do not know the exact identity of this individual but I am sure that the forum can and to as identifying his awards!

Regards,

Mark

Well I thought I would post a scan of a CDV that I have of one identified as "Prince Imperial of Germany". I admit that I do not know the exact identity of this individual but I am sure that the forum can and to as identifying his awards!

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

He succeeded his father Wilhelm I as Emperor Friedrich III but died after a very short reign after contracting throat cancer. His wife was Victoria, the Princess Royal, eldest daughter of Queen Victoria. They were the parents of the notorious Wilhelm II "Kaiser Bill".

Cheers,

James

.......identifying his awards!

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

I can't see everything he has due to items being hidden. But what I can see is:

At his throat, Crown Prince Friedrich is wearing the 1870 Grand Cross of the Iron Cross.

Below that you can see the chain for the special family collar of the Royal Hohenzollern House Order, but I can't actually see the cross itself.

Below that is hanging the gigantic Grand Cross of the Pour le Merite with Oak Leaves.

On his chest he has two breast stars and a cross.

The top breast star is the Grand Cross of the Order of the Black Eagle. There appears to be a ribbon entwined around the arms which may designate the holding of another Grand Cross, probably of the Red Eagle.

The middle cross, is of course, the Iron Cross 1st Class.

The bottom breast star is for the Grand Cross of the Pour le Merite with Oak Leaves.

Mark,

The top breast star is the Grand Cross of the Order of the Black Eagle. There appears to be a ribbon entwined around the arms which may designate the holding of another Grand Cross, probably of the Red Eagle.

No, it is the breast star of the Order of the Black Eagle blue enamelled Garter with motto of the English Order of the Garter.

I have a picture of it somewhere and will see if I can find it again and make a scna, but I cannot quite remember where it is right now.

Note also that there is no "Grand Cross" of the Black Eagle. It was a single class order of "Knights".

Cheers,

James

No, it is the breast star of the Order of the Black Eagle blue enamelled Garter with motto of the English Order of the Garter.

I have a picture of it somewhere and will see if I can find it again and make a scna, but I cannot quite remember where it is right now.

Note also that there is no "Grand Cross" of the Black Eagle. It was a single class order of "Knights".

Cheers,

James

James,

You are quite correct, there is no Grand Cross, my mistake, there was only one class. I cannot see the ribbon going around the star so I cannot really say what it is. I have seen stars like you describe, with the enamelled Garter around it, but I've also seen breast stars with the enamelled ribbon/sash of the Red Eagle around it also. Those stars may not have been Black Eagle breast stars, I don't recall, I just know they had the white and orange Red Eagle sash entwined around the arms.

I can not see the star clearly enough to positively identify but...

Pretty sure it is not Black Eagle.

The Practice of entwining the ribbon of the Red Eagle aroung the star of the Crown Order or the ribbon of the Crown Order around the star of the Red Eagle was done for recipients of both. I will speculate that you are seeing a Red Eagle ribbon on the star of the crown order.

On page 146 of "Prussian Blue: A History of the Order Pour le Merite" there is a very large, full page, photo of Crown Prince Friedrich and the top breast star he's wearing in that photo is without a doubt the Order of the Black Eagle (I can read the motto, Suum Cuique, around the center portion) and it has what I'm fairly sure is the enamelled Garter of the British Order of the Garter entwined around the arms of the star. I can't read the enamelled ribbon, but it is dark in color. The star in the photo in the book looks just like the star in the photo posted in this thread.

I defer to your eyesight!

You got it right in my opinion.

Have the same book but did not inspect closely enough to read the motto.

Also, Nimmergut?s catalogue refers to such a star (SAO w/ ribbon of the Garter).

Considered rare? :D

On page 146 of "Prussian Blue: A History of the Order Pour le Merite" there is a very large, full page, photo of Crown Prince Friedrich and the top breast star he's wearing in that photo is without a doubt the Order of the Black Eagle (I can read the motto, Suum Cuique, around the center portion) and it has what I'm fairly sure is the enamelled Garter of the British Order of the Garter entwined around the arms of the star. I can't read the enamelled ribbon, but it is dark in color. The star in the photo in the book looks just like the star in the photo posted in this thread.

interesting thread!

what is the translation of "Suum Cuique" ?

my thanks!

joe

Joe,

I'm no Latin scholar, but according to what I can find on the Internet it litterally means, "To Each His Own." But on one site I found it says that in this case it more closely means "To Each According to His Merits."

Joe,

I'm no Latin scholar, but according to what I can find on the Internet it litterally means, "To Each His Own." But on one site I found it says that in this case it more closely means "To Each According to His Merits."

thank you, mike!

the second seems more in line with

what heraldry is all about.

joe