News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Commando Knife

Bergie

Hi everyone, this is my first post on the forums.

My uncle gave me this commando knife this morning, he said he was given it when he was 12 (he is now 74yrs old) by a soldier at the end of the war.

Can any one give me any details on it such as model or mark, if such things exist?

The only markings I can see are an arrow above the letter "I" on the cross guard and a very small raised number 3 near the end of the handle.

Hi Bergi,

This is a genuine Word War Two commando knife and scabbard. Not having my books to hand, I am afraid I can't remember what Mark.

The 3 on the handle refers to the handle mould number, (probably made in the factory in Walsall England), I believe that there were threee moulds (1, 2 & 3)

The broard arrow on the crossguard, is the british military acceptance mark (not always stamped on the knife.) The letter I, I have no idea (I have one marked with a V in the same place,)

Regards,

Pete

Hi there

The I over the /I\ usually indicates Indian Stores acceptance. The Fairbairn Sykes Commando Knife is still issued to this day.

A good book on the subject of British Military Knives in general is;

British and Commonwealth Military Knives by Ron Flook ISBN1 85310 986 X published in 1999 it may still be avaiilable.

Hope that helps

Carl

• 2 weeks later...