News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Australian VC

Not some offshoot of the empire? Foreign flag? Funny thing to say in a series of posts about a decoration copied hook, line and sinker from that so-called foreign country!

If you are going to quote me, quote me correctly. What I said is We are not some offshoot of the Empire anymore, that is to say we have our own identity as a nation and a people. However, some historical links are inevitable when we were originally settled by the English.

The current flag has a shorter history in this country than the VC, it wasn't until 1934 that the current design specifications were settled on.

If you are going to quote me, quote me correctly. What I said is We are not some offshoot of the Empire anymore, that is to say we have our own identity as a nation and a people. However, some historical links are inevitable when we were originally settled by the English.

The current flag has a shorter history in this country than the VC, it wasn't until 1934 that the current design specifications were settled on.

If I intended quoting you, I would have used quotation marks. I did not.

As far as I know Australia was originally settled by the Aboriginals, not the English. The British, not English, arrived very much later.

The empire ceased having any relevance to Britain so far as Australia was concerned in 1931. Even so, Australia demanded and received the insertion of specific clauses exempting it from certain aspects of independence given by that legislation. Nevertheless, it still decided not to pass even the watered down version into its own laws. It only did that when circumstances demanded it over the stationing of foreign (US and Dutch) troops on Australian soil during WW2.

The VC for Australia wasn't copied from its British counterpart until 1991.

• 2 weeks later...

When we eventually send a task force to restore order and obedience to HM Queen in Australia, will any member of the rebel Armed Forces of the Republic of Australia awarded a VC for heroism during the conflict be allowed to wear it after the surrender?

Tricky question...

PK

When we eventually send a task force to restore order and obedience to HM Queen in Australia, will any member of the rebel Armed Forces of the Republic of Australia awarded a VC for heroism during the conflict be allowed to wear it after the surrender?

Tricky question...

PK

Strange coming from a bloke by the name of P Keating! :unsure:

Not a;;..............

Not all Australians will become rebels I can assure you :rolleyes: and this debate will do nothing but divide our country. And Ed with all due respect why do you think that the Aboriginal flag is more worthy than the Union flag representing the majority Anglo Celtic peoples of my country who have suffered Starvation, Flood, Fire, Drought, War to build this country to what it is today one of the worlds longest continuing democracies.

Just an observation, but isnt that the royal coat of arms on the inside of the VC case presented to Trooper Donaldson, as it is still made in London I would presume so?

Not a;;..............

Not all Australians will become rebels I can assure you :rolleyes: and this debate will do nothing but divide our country. And Ed with all due respect why do you think that the Aboriginal flag is more worthy than the Union flag representing the majority Anglo Celtic peoples of my country who have suffered Starvation, Flood, Fire, Drought, War to build this country to what it is today one of the worlds longest continuing democracies.

Just an observation, but isnt that the royal coat of arms on the inside of the VC case presented to Trooper Donaldson, as it is still made in London I would presume so?

Yes indeed. The Australian VC is made by the same outfit that make the British VC and from the same ingot of gun metal. The only difference as far as I can see is in the name and in who is responsible for selecting recipients. In all other respects it seems to be identical.

Though, no doubt, there may be a republican or two who will explain at great length that the crown appearing in the design is not a crown at all, but an ancient upturned basket device, used by the Torres Strait Islanders to collect sea-shells. The lion is actually not a British lion but a stylised dingo from a cave painting in Deena Reena.

No use mentioning democracy to republicans. They lost the vote but don't accept the outcome.

As for Aboriginals, I once listened to a republican debate in which they were saying the Queen could not be Head of State because she did not speak with an "Australian" accent. It soon became very clear that an "Australian" accent was not found amongst Aboriginals or immigrants from Italy or Asia. Such folk are simply "used" by the republican lobby, their real intentions are much less wholesome than the pretence.

Chaps, I appreciate that once the subject of politics raises its head it's tempting to join in, but can we keep on track please. No matter how well intentioned & careful people start out, things tend to degenerate.

I have no problem with people sharing their views, I just feel that they should be shared in another part of the forum - the lounge, rather than in this part of the forum & on a thread about Trooper Donaldson & the Australian VC.

• 5 years later...

I am a proud Canadian and that includes all of our traditions, history, and heritage. The Victoria Cross ( Great Britain ) is one of these and I abhor the change from For Valour to Pro Valor. Our military history pre-dates the modernist sentiments and is something that we need cherish. My Grandfather was a WWI and WWII veteran and my father a WWII veteran and neither would have approved of the change. Just my humble opinion.

Mike