News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

India -- Maha Vir Chakra

Ed_Haynes

The second-tier military gallantry award of the Republic of India is the Maha Vir Chakra, awarded for acts of valour in the presence of the enemy. Like the PVC, the MVC was created in 1950 with retrospective awards back to 15 August 1947.

Through 2003, there have been 212 awards of this decoration.

I know of only one MVC "in captivity". What I show here is another ex-ANS-collection mint specimen.

Like the other gallantry awards, a bar has been designed for second or subsequent awards of the MVC. Unlike the other awards, this bar has actually been awarded six times (that Rana and I could trace); to date, no second bars have been awarded.

The same bar is used for the other gallantry awards.

very cool- you are very fortunate to have custody of one of these methinks-

I noted this from the IMOD site. Do all MVC winners have a special title before their names indicated how the award was won?

http://www.defenceindia.com/defenceind/mahavir_chakra.html

Nope. This is just babble from the Ministry of Defence public relations weasels. All they'd get is a "MVC" after their name. But that is quite a bit.

Yes, almost all Indian medals are named. While they probably originally intended the reverse area for naming, they are named on the edge. The MVC I have, being just a mint specimen, isn't named, of course.

The one I have seen with a (very fortunate) collector and the two I have seen with the recipients are very nicely named, though recent PVCs and ACs are pretty ugly in their naming.

Edited by Ed_Haynes