HAPPY BIRTHDAAAAAYYYY DEAR BILLLLLLY

whoa! :speechless1:

A Doorn piece. Who made that? How many?

Wow!

I do not know for sure, who made these medals, but most of the Doorn time items where made by Godet. There where 167 awarded in silvered bronze for the relatives and the loved ones. In bronze where given only 68 medals to the staff.

But if you now are interested in such a medal, be carefull: casted fakes of the silver medals in silver are around:

I wonder if there is more interest in the time of the Kaiser in the US then in Germany. Whatever the faults of the Kaisers and their system they were fauster a system that produced the most capable Army in Europe back by a large industrial base. I wonder how different the world would be if the US did not entry WWI.

You know there is an interesting "what if" concerning WWI. In the 1780s the US failed by one vote in congress to have the official language be German instead of English (Or so I have heard). Had the US been a German speaking nation, how would that have affected the events in the 20th century? Would language be stronger than our historical ties to Great Britian? Interesting to ponder.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Blog Comments

• As a theology student my professor, a much published former Naval chaplain, set us an essay, saying that if we could answer that successfully we would be guaranteed  a good degree "Which of the gospel writers was the biggest liar, discuss."   I got a good mark, but  don't want to be burned for heresy.   P
    • As my father used to say: "Tain't so much Pappy's a liar - he just remembers big."  
    • Brian: First, let me say that I always enjoy reading your blog and your "spot on" comments.  Another fine topic with such a broad expansion into so many different facets.  I had watched this a week or two ago and when reading your blog, it reminded me of this great quote.   There is a great video on the origins of "Who was Murphy in Murphy's Law"   Anyway, about mid way through this video, there is this great quote and I think it sums it up quite well to your statem
    • I've received word from the Curator that she has permission to re-open this summer.   We're already making plans for a November event at the Museum.   Michael
    • I recall I did the same on hot days at Old Fort York back in 1973-74 - wool uniforms, and at 90F they would let you take your backpack off.   Michael