News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish star?

TerryG

Someone has expressed some doubts about the origin and age of this star so I would like some opinions. It seems that it is a one-piece construction, i.e. the crescent is part of the body of the star and not "added".

........but the enamel has not cracked. I have a few other Stars where the enamel has cracked although the arms are not bent so I assume that the enamel is very fragile. In this case, the enamel was souple or elastic enough to cope with the excessive bending.

Is it something I said or is it my after-shave? No response?

Anyway, I dug out my other Stars to answer a question on another thread and noticed that I have 2 more stars which appear much flatter than others like BB and AWS..., i.e. a one piece construction without an "added" crescent. Here they are: one is enameled (described as "strawberry") and the other is the painted version. So have I answered my own question, this is an accepted construction?

Edited by TerryG

Guest Rick Research

I've been out hammering ice sheets off my roof (the people across the street have had their 2 year old new roof destroyed by this unending record breaking "global warming") so occasionally I am losing track of things of late, what with the spots in front of my vision and only 2 uninjured fingers to type with.... :speechless1:

Looks to me like the wearer ever so carefully bent that outside arm of the star facing his right arm so it fitted more snugly against his tunic. These things must have SNAGGED like crazy, especially given most Germans inclination to wear them every day because of their appearance.

No clue as to the make. The horizontal pin is odd since most non-Turkish made ones seem to have used normal upright pins.

Looks to me like the wearer ever so carefully bent that outside arm of the star facing his right arm so it fitted more snugly against his tunic. These things must have SNAGGED like crazy, especially given most Germans inclination to wear them every day because of their appearance.

Thanks Rick but the bending occured during shipping. The star left one country intact and reached me with a bent arm. These are certainly not soft, far from it! How this occured, I have no idea but there is no way I could or would bend it back. We have all seen stars with bits of enamel missing, result I guess of a knock or a slight bend. In this case, the bending is extreme but the enamel is still intact. This is what prompted my friend to raise doubts about the age of the star ..... ;)