News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftschutz-Ehrenzeichen 1st Class

Here is my 1st Class Luftschutz Civil Defense Decoration for viewing. It is my hope that forum members who are knowledgeable about this award will comment, insofar as possible, as to the authenticity. In that regard, I have done internet research on a few of the collector fora to try and establish this in my own mind and, while I have never actually seen one in-hand, I do consider this award to be a genuine, period original. Realizing that an in-hand assessment is best, for the purposes of this review I have taken photographs that I trust will fully show the required detail of the award and I will describe it accurately.

The medal measures 38.6mm wide and 42.2mm from the top of the integral suspension device to the bottom. The moveable suspender is 8.5mm high and 3.5mm wide. I do not have a scale to determine the weight.

There are no maker markings on the suspension ring or suspender. The "mobile" suspender is brazed together at the end of the loop which I have not observed on pictures of other such medals.

The medal ribbon is original and passes the "black light" test.

The medal retains almost all of the original fire-gilding overall to the matte, pebbled areas and the shiny, burnished-like areas on the exterior arms, lettering, numerals and swastika. The detail and lettering are clean and crisp.

In one small spot where the fire-gilding has lifted and is missing from one of the arms a shiny, silvery base metal is visible which I assume to be a quality metal, but possibly either tomback or fine zinc - I am uncertain. I can find no definitive confirmation as to the metal or metals used in the production of this award.

Nor can I find any definitive confirmation as to whether originals of this medal were stamped or die-cast. Mine does have certain features (slight visible lines) at the outside areas of the central, round portion; as well as on the exterior surfaces of the inside portions of the central cross. These I take as possible signs indicating that this cross was die-cast. They are hardly noticeable to the naked eye but can be seen under magnification. The more visible areas are smooth and the heavy gilding gives the medal an impressive appearance in-hand.

I look forward to receiving opinions and comments that seek to confirm or refute the period authenticity of the award shown in this thread.

With thanks in advance and best regards,

John

Edited by John Burchell

• 9 years later...

It has now been nine years since I posted this award.  I am herewith reviving the thread to see if there might be any further comments on assessment of this example as to period originality or otherwise.

Thanks for looking,

Best regards,

John

Wow is right!  Nobody sorrier than me to hear this...but it is what it is and I thank you, Matthew, for your informed response...now on record and documented here for future reference by others.

Edited by John Burchell