News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Police Constable Kenneth Arthur Strange British Transport Police
    Kenneth was born on the 15th March 1919, in Manchester. He enlisted in the Grenadier Guards as 3532597 on the 16th October 1939, aged 20 years 168 days. Was 5` 10? tall, with grey eyes and brown hair.
    He was posted to the 1st Battalion, and served with them as a driver (wheeled) through out the war.
    From what I can gather, as he never spoke about the war, he appears to have served most of the early part of the war in Britain, he certainly was in the country on the 15th November 1941, as he married Ena on this day. I do know that he was definitely present with the Battalion during Operation Market Garden, and I assume he remained on active service till the end of the war.
    He left the army on the 27th May 1946. His character described as exemplary.
    He is entitled to the 1939 Star, France and Germany Star, Defence Medal, War Medal and Police Long Service and Good Conduct Medal.
    Kenneth joined the Police, on the 8th July 1946, aged 27. His collar number was 779, but appears to have been changed later to 413.
    His height is given as 5`10 ??. Medical class A.
    During his career he attended several courses, including a 2 day Civil Defence Course in November 1953. He also attended the Police Training School, at Tadworth between 2nd March and 29th March 1952.
    Kenneth served at the following stations,
    Manchester Victoria 8th July till 25th November 1946.
    Manchester Central 25th November 1946 till 7th May 1951.
    Manchester Victoria 7th May 51 till 21st March 52.
    Manchester Central 21st March 52 till 5th October 53.
    Deansgate 5th October 53 till 5th March 54.
    Manchester Central 5th March 54 till 16th Feb 58.
    London Road 16th Feb 58 till 16th Oct 60.
    Ancoats Goods 16th Oct 60 till 10th Dec 61.
    Manchester Central 10th Dec 61 till 1st Sept 1973.
    His start salary was ?620 in 1946 and when he left in 1973 he was earning ?2196.
    Kenneth was awarded the Long Service and Good Conduct Medal in Dec 1968. He retired on the 23rd May 1974, age 55.

Kenneth was awarded his Police LSGC in December 1968. I have the original letter sent to him, congratulating him, and informing him of the award. It has a piece of ribbon attached by paper clip, however, I do not recognise the ribbon, it certainly isn?t the Police LSGC ribbon, can anyone shine a light on what it might be??

I would also like to hear from anyone who can tell me about the 1st Btn involvements, prior to Op Market Garden, and after.

• 6 years later...
    • 3 years later...

Mervyn, sadly the medals location is unknown, HOWEVER, I do have his WW2 medals and Police LSGC. Interestingly the documentation with which the ribbon is attached makes no mention of the St John's medal, but refers to his LSGC. So it's unclear whether the wrong medal ribbon was attached to the document? I have various other documents relating to his military and police service and there is no mention of the St John's medal contained therein either.

Have you any idea whether this medal would have been worn alongside his WW2 medals and LSGC or is it a sort of keep sake type affair I wonder? From the way his medals were mounted it appears that he never mounted or wore his LSGC. Not uncommon I suppose given the costs involved in getting your medals mounted professional...

Gordon.

This is a recognised award and he would have worn-it. Firstly it is a long service first aid medal for 15 years service - with 20

year bar for additional service. The paperwork did not make it clear - but, this was the Long Service medal they were talking

about. The markings are BRITISH RAILWAYS 15 YEARS FIRST AID EFFICIENCY. Mervyn

• 4 years later...