News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 uniform on ebay

Garth Thompson

This horizon blue uniform, ebay # 350156946632 , is listed as a WW1 French NCOs uniform but the cut and style don't look like what I've usually seen pictured or illustrated as a WW1 uniform. What do you all think. I'm not a WW1 uniform collector so could be all wet on this one.

Garth

Garth

It looks very much like a privately cut caporal's uniform. The two short oblique stripes on the sleeve were the war-time rank (short for a double chevron). Such uniforms were sometimes worn by men who were assigned to HQ when they had the money to have them taylored.

A "caporal" does not count as an NCO in the French rank system : he is an "homme du rang", a ranker.

Seems he had a number of war-time chevrons on the upper part of the sleeve. I don't know what the Lorraine Cross stands for.

Sorry I cannot be of better help.

Veteran

Edited by Veteran