News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 121
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I would not blow these off as being reproduction. I have seen other tabs here on the GMIC where the owner had his tabs "updated" for a promotion. I dont see anything that would strike me as "bad".

If they were for sale at a decent price, I would snatch them up.

Paul

PS... what is the waffenfarbe on these? Are they a faded flak or are they literally orange?

Laurence,

The Musician tab looks ok to me. I have seen tabs where a gull was added in between 2 other gulls for a promotion, so this to me is not a bad indicator. As a matter of fact I think it is a good indicator that the tab is real.

Paul, the tab looks like a Signal musician. Laurence?

Gary B

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they are supposed to be some sort LW admin ranking... perhaps for an overcoat. Interesting.

I have never seen anything like them... The aging looks funny though.

I thought that meteorological service used the dark green admin tabs. I will have to double check my references!

That raises another question... was there a National Meteorlogical Sevice that was independant of the Luftwaffe?

Slow day at work today so I did a little poking around and came up with...

Reichswetterdeinst was established in 1934 and I assume was active until the fall of Berlin in 1945.

The Meteorlogical Service of the GDR was established in 1950 and was replaced by the Deutscher Wetterdienst in 1952. The DWD is still the weather authority in Germany today.

I will do some more searching to see if the RWD was an independant organization or if it was run by the Luftwaffe.

Update...

It seems that these guys were a part of the Luftwaffe and wore the uniform of a Beamte.

Here is an interesting read, although it is in German... it does answer a few questions... the bottom line is that these tabs remain unknown. I dont believe that they are TR period German.

http://www.gyges.dk/RL-6%20Chef%20der%20Luftfahrt.pdf

UPDATE: IAW Uniforms and Insignia of the Luftwaffe Volume 2: 1940-1945 by Brain Davis, Pages 18-24, this insignia in question represents an:

LS-Obertruppmeister in the Reichsluftschutzbund(RLB) -National Air Raid Protection Service.

Description: Lilac collar patch with three single three point stars... perfect match!

One mystery Solved!!!

Paul

I kind of figured these boards would attract some attention.

Paul, let's hear what others have say. I'll eventually give you the whole story.

Larry, these boards have never resided on E-bay or any other site for that matter.

KR

Peter

Hi,

Well those tabs look really good. As I had mentioned before (to Paul in a PM) I recently saw some General officer tabs at a show that looked stunning. The dealer informed me that he had them made in Europe/Germany. I would never have known that they were repro had he not told me that they were. I do not know if they would have glowed under a blacklight.

Gary B

I kind of figured these boards would attract some attention.

Paul, let's hear what others have say. I'll eventually give you the whole story.

Larry, these boards have never resided on E-bay or any other site for that matter.

KR

Peter

Sorry Paul, I hope I didn't spoil your night ;)

The original owner of these boards had them made in the mid 50's. I don't know the location of origin, but I suppose it's Germany. The workmanship is excellent, at least to my opinion. Cloth has never been of great interest to me, mainly due to the difficulties to determine originality. These boards surely haven't changed that opinion. Nor I have seen a genuine set of GFM boards, but if you compare these to war time illustrations, you'll notice a couple of anomalies.The lower section of the leaves are positioned with a space to the rest of the wreath, the batons are to small and the eagle has a drop-tail. But like I said, the rest is not bad.

Larry, it makes a scary comparison the General boards, shown by you in the other thread.

KR

Peter

Hi Peter

They sure are scary.

I was just corresponding with Mike from the http://www.themarshalsbaton.com/ and he is uneasy with them so as it's an e-bay sale I will pass. I don't really excpect to own GFM tabs as they were few and far between, but i think with care I should be able to fill out the 2 and 3 gull tabs, sorry about not using the proper rank, just finished a 12hr shift and to lazy to think :Cat-Scratch:

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter

They sure are scary.

I was just corresponding with Mike from the http://www.themarshalsbaton.com/ and he is uneasy with them so as it's an e-bay sale I will pass. I don't really excpect to own GFM tabs as they were few and far between, but i think with care I should be able to fill out the 2 and 3 gull tabs, sorry about not using the proper rank, just finished a 12hr shift and to lazy to think :Cat-Scratch:

Wow Peter!!! It is a good thing that you were able to get that story! Can you imagine how easily they would have wound up in someone's collection!!!