News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Order of Battle

I hope this is the proper place to ask, as hours of search by myself where sadly unsuccessfull.

I heared, that there is a book about the British Order of Battle, which shows, where all british units where during the first world war and even that the later set up regiments which replaced lost ones.

If anyone could help me to find this book i would appreciate very much!

And as footnote - does something for indian regiments exist as well?

Thanks a lot Christian

Hello Christian!

Have you tried the Naval & Military Press website? They have quite a lot of reprinted books, and I wouldn?t be surprised if they have covered this subject too.

Greetings/GRA

Thanks a lot Christian

Christian

I haven't looked for the IA Order of Battle as such, but I have a small, self-published pamphlet by a Frenchman which contains drawings of the badges of about 40-50 Indian Army regiments who served in France 1914-1917, mostly cavalry units.

With each badge are short notes on when the unit arrived in and left France, so I'm assuming that the info. was readily available 30+ years ago when I first picked up the book. Almost all the mounted units, BTW, were sent out to Mesopotamia in 1916-17. If you can't find anything else, let me know and I'll try to trancscribe what little info I do have.

I assume you've tried Wikipedia already, as that sort of thing seems to be common, at least on the English site. Good luck with the hunt!

Peter

I hope this is the proper place to ask, as hours of search by myself where sadly unsuccessfull.

I heared, that there is a book about the British Order of Battle, which shows, where all british units where during the first world war and even that the later set up regiments which replaced lost ones.

If anyone could help me to find this book i would appreciate very much!

Thanks a lot Christian

Christian,

This could be the one you are referring to. Lists British regiments and where the were during 1914/18 and after. A good little book to have.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEDAL-RESEARCH-WW1-L...1QQcmdZViewItem

If it's the one you want and need help in getting it ... let me know.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Edited by Mike Huxley

Christian,

What you require are Major A.F.Beckes "Order of Battle of Division", which cover the whole of the Great War in 5 parts. It was a very rare series, which was reprinted by Ray Westlake in the early 1980's and even those copies are considered rare due to their quality.

Part i - The Regular Divisions.

Part II - The Territorial Divisions

Part III - The New Armies

Part IV - The Reserve TF Divisions

Part V - Armies & Corps.

This was followed by another series for 1914-19 which covered the Australian, Canadian and Indian Divisions and was published by an author who name escapes me.

These can still be obtained from book dealers through the 'abebooks' website, but if you decide to order copies, order them direct from the seller as abebooks charge a premium, which is added to the sale of the books.

The Imperial War Museum also reprinted an 'Order of Battle of the British Army' for November 1918, but even though done in the 1980's this reprint is hard to come.

• 2 weeks later...