News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 52
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello WNickel,

:love: Congratulations on a fantastic group, that has to be about as good as it gets.

In my opinion, the real beauty of miniatures is not so much in quantity, but in the

artistic craftsmanship of many individual pieces, of which this group obviously

has many examples.

Again, congratulations and thank you for sharing this magnificent group.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Ogh! A wretched CIVILIAN!!!!! :banger: Got a name? I can verify dates from that, but my data isn't set up for anyone but military recipients. BTW, from my perusal of the Schaumburg and Detmold rolls, I'd say your guy has :unsure:left things OFF!!!! :speechless1:

GREAT chain :speechless1: There are awards on it that I have never seen as miniatures before, only full sized.

I dream of finding chains with one or two enamel awards--yours looks like an enamel salesmans sampler.

WELL DONE !!!

Guest Rick Research

Your ? is Waldeck. Mine is Langensalza Medal?

There's just about everything BUT Baden and Saxony in there. :speechless1:

Part of what is making possible identification difficult is that I think SOME of these are "Kleindekorations" for COMMANDER grade awards, so not all are the classes worn on medal bars...

beyond which I'm lost for finding people.

No Bavaria either... a Brunswick 1879-1886 Landwehr schnalle 2nd class...

a Langensalza medal (?) with no other Hannoverian decorations...

all decorations mounted in what appears to me to be a haphazard order

(PrKO and RAO separated by five other pieces)... Lippe probably the

strongest state represented... no swords to any orders...

is that a Centenary medal (third from left?), no oaks on the EK...

just some random observations.

I sure would like to know who this is and see his story.

There is a

v. Alten, Ernst Reinhold Moritz, Schaumburg-Lippische Hofmarschall.

who received the Danish Order of Dannebrog (Commander 1. class aka Grand Officer) on 6. June 1905.

Could that be your man?

If yes, the cypher above the Dannebrog cross should be Christian IX (C R ix).

/Mike

Edited by Great Dane

Guest Rick Research

AHA!!! :jumping: What a WEIRD acreer-- NONCOMBATANT 1870 Iron Cross when he was only 23-- will have to check Glenn's 1870 EK list for the explanation of THAT! :speechless1:

Figured these were "Kleindekorations" throwing off "medal bar" identifications.

EH2b from Altenburg 05.11.87, and 2a on 06.11.97. 2b as "Ernst von Alten-Wormsthal."

Ernst von Alten was decorated by his own Schaumburg Lippe early, twice, and never again.

His FIRST Ehrenkreuz (2nd Class) was awarded on 18 April 1886 according to the Schaumburg roll and 17 April 1886 according to the Detmold roll-- when it was a JOINT House Order.

He then received the 2nd Class (from Schaumburg) AGAIN on 1 July 1893-- and never got anything from them again! NO LDH3 BTW-- typical Orders Almanac screwup-- even the recipients couldn't figure out pre- and post-1890 Lippe Honor Crosses, oy. :speechless:

These double 2nd Classes are quite bizarrely high for someody as young (at the time) as him, and to never have had even a partial "bump up" again seems weird.

But then his entire life was apparently weird, so........ :catjava:

Guest Rick Research

Sure enough-- here he is as a "white-black" EK2 1870 recipient, from Glenn's CD:

But how in God's name could this even have been POSSIBLE? Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieaggghhhhhhh!!!!

Mini 1870 for COMBATANTS, not STEEL? :speechless1:

:speechless1:

Uh, :speechless1:

seeheld,

Congratulations! :love: Here is another group that so well illustrates ?The beauty of Miniatures?.

Incidentally, if you find out who these were awarded to, I may be able to give you the year of

The Guelph award.

Best wishes, :beer:

Wild Card