News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

E. Iffland received SLH1 25 October 1899 as F?rstlich Scahumburg-Lippischer Kammerdirektor zu B?ckeburg, with Roll notation "? Orden zur?ck."

He received EH2a from Altenburg 16.04.82 as Fstl Lippischer Kammerpr?sident, replaced by EH-Gro?kreuz from Altenburg 14.01.99 as Chef F?rstl Lipp Kabinett, Wirklicher Geheimer Rat.

I have no complete first name or birth and death dates.

• Replies 52
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooooooooooooooooo amazing. :love::love::love:

That has got EVERYTHING a Bavarian collector could ever deam about! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

You are so right Rick... everything. :love:

WNickle,

This is such a classic example of miniature chains at their finest; both rare and common awards and top quality workmanship throughout.

Congratulations! :cheers:

Wild Card

Gentlemen,

I would like to present a miniature chain which I think also offers some excellent examples

of the incredible workmanship that can be found in miniatures. It is interesting that this chain

was done by Scharffenberg in Dresden; and while Scharffenberg seems to have been a prolific

producer of full size decorations (especially Saxon orders), to my experience, their miniatures

are quite rare.

Guest Rick Research

Especially when he was yet another Hanoverian refugee in the Saxon army:

My references on 19th century Saxon Generals are NIL so hopefully Andy and Glenn can fill in more on von Plato's career. :cheers:

All that I can add at this point is that apparently Curd/Kurt's son Fritz was an only child,since his daughter Agnes (b. 1914) and herself apparently an only child married (in 1936) Friedrich Wilhem Bloch von Blottnitz (missing in action in the East since 1944) and she and her 2 daughters and son were in residence at the von Plato estate in the 1950s.

I am DELIGHTED to see so many verifiably original identifiable minis. These are so often just dealer composites that it is often disheartening to see all the bad ones. Terrific ones are a very welcome change indeed!

Note that, again, minis on a chain here are COMMANDER grades mingled with the medal bar classes we'd expect. This is what makes such identifications very dificult unless a combination is as literally unique as this one is too.

Unique is the Research Gnome's friend. :catjava:

Guest Rick Research

Von Plato's EK2 1870 entry from Glenn's CD :cheers:

Ironic that having become a refugee, he should ONLY have been decorated for valor by the occupying usurpers of his homeland and not by his new adopted royal master.

Fascinating lives....

Curd von Plato's career details:

21.06.92-25.06.93 Commander 48. Inf. Brig.

01.02.89-21.06.92 Commander Inf. R. 139

18.08.85-01.02.89 LTC on staff of Inf. R. 134

1881-18.08.85 Commander II. Batl./Inf. R. 105

20.04.78-1880 Major attached to staff of Inf. R. 104

14.07.68-20.04.78 Company commander 9./Gren. R. 101

1867-14.07.68 in 9./Gren. R. 101

1866 in hanovarian Guard (infantry) Regiment

1858-1865 ??

Gen.Maj. 17-11-91 (must have been back dated, as he was not a GM while commanding IR 139 in 1892 as shown in that year's Army List)

Oberst 01-02-89

Oberstlt. 18-08-85

Major 20-04-78

Hptm 14-07-68

Prem.Lt. 08-06-65

Sek.Lt. 00-00-58

In Nov 1866 he married Carlotta Sthamer (not a typing/spelling error, as given in the 1913 Gotha Uradel. Handbuch, p. 504), born 1846 in Havana. They had three children, two girls and a boy. Interestingly, the two daughters were raised Catholic like their mother but not Fritz, their son. Both girls married, the eldest did not have children but the younger did, and her daughter was raised Catholic, but not her son. Not being Catholic myelf, it strikes me that just the girls were raised in the church, not the sons.

Andy

Guest Rick Research

Very interesting career-- he practically FLEW up the ranks to General and then seems to have retired rather precipitously at a young age compared to when a Prussian would have made that rank.

The religious thing may have been some compromise in the mixed marriage. As a Hanoverian-- and he went back to live there under the heel of the occupiers, there may have been an advantage to NOT being the only Catholics around. Hanover had ditched Victoria under Salic law--more fools them, as it turned out-- and there may still have been some sort of religious test for property holding there. :rolleyes:

Thank you, this will be nice.

According to salomon and sascha is the name

Iffland, f?rstl. lipp. Kammerdirektor in B?ckeburg :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

Wild Crad, maybe you can carry out a cross check.

Regards Seeheld

Hello Seeheld,

Good news! I think that I have found your man in the 1865 Hannover Hof und Staats Handbuch.

Under the knight?s grade of the Guelphic Order, it shows an award in 1862 to ?Geheimer = Ober =

Steuer = Rath a. D. Issland?.

Does this fit?

Best wishes, :cheers:

Wild Card

Hello Seeheld,

Good news! I think that I have found your man in the 1865 Hannover Hof und Staats Handbuch.

Under the knight?s grade of the Guelphic Order, it shows an award in 1862 to ?Geheimer = Ober =

Steuer = Rath a. D. Issland?.

Does this fit?

Best wishes, :cheers:

Wild Card

Thank you!!!! :jumping: :jumping: :jumping:

Regards Seeheld

Guest Rick Research

Odd combination. The only colonial dceoration to go with the SWA :love: is from Mecklenburg (no "1914" under the "FF"?) but this appears to be from an officer in a 1908 Franz Joseph "Inhaber" regiment (Is that what the next to last medal is?)

Ah-- medal from CHILE last has been HAND MADE since no mini commercially available!!!! :jumping::jumping: :jumping:

Odd combination. The only colonial dceoration to go with the SWA :love: is from Mecklenburg (no "1914" under the "FF"?) but this appears to be from an officer in a 1908 Franz Joseph "Inhaber" regiment (Is that what the next to last medal is?)

Ah-- medal from CHILE last has been HAND MADE since no mini commercially available!!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

Well, the KrO4x is missing, the WF3bx ist colonial, too. The last one is Chile Centenial Medal 1910.

Edited by Bernd D

Guest Rick Research

Aha. This had to have belonged to Hauptmann aD (Garde Gren Rgt 2) Thilo von Trotha (1874-19??). He HAD a KO4X (where is that?) but all the other awards here match. His full size SWA had 4th Spange "Hereroland" and the colonial Mecklenburg, W?rttemberg, and Austrian trio cannot have been anybody else.

He also had a Johanitter and Albanian Skanderbeg Order 3rd Class and 1914 Albanian Coronation medal since he retired from the Prussian Guards to be Hoifmarschall of the ill-fated Prince of Wied's months long Albanian interlude.

Von Trotha RE-retired after the Great War as a Major from Res Inf Rgt 202.

Congratulations. :cheers: And the trend of attributable minis (sometyhing I normally despair of) continues!!!! :jumping:

• 2 weeks later...