News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

G.I.B.P.O.M/1e R.P.I.Ma.

Simon F

I picked these pictures up from evilbay a while ago now, there are 56 in all and very interestingly record the life of a French soldier.

They are all to a Colonial Para by the name of Claude SOMNY, from 1960 through to about 1961. I believe that he became an NCO during this period with G.I.B.P.O.M, later known as 1e R.P.I.Ma. I understand that this was the training unit for the R.P.I.Ma. I think they are a nice representative group recording the life of a Paratrooper and worthy of further research.

Any useful insights/information on these will be greatly received..

First up Claude.

A couple of shots of an aircraft before jump. I am presuming the significance of this is that it is either his first live drop or his final jump for qualification. The number 2501 feature on these the back of the next couple of pics so possibly the aircraft number?

Just a speculation, but could the unit badge on the shoulder board be the unit he was assigned to or the unit he?s about to be assigned to, since he seems to wear the training unit badge on the pocket? Do I see a backing to the parachutist?s brevet?

Nice pics Simon, makes one want to experience that tingling feeling of jumping again...

/GRA

Thanks Chris/GRA. I don't have my notes here with me at the moment, but yes my understanding is, that it is the unit badge of the one he was assigned to within G.I.B.P.O.M/1e R.P.I.Ma. Indeed you are correct with the backing for the wings..

Just a speculation, but could the unit badge on the shoulder board be the unit he was assigned to or the unit he?s about to be assigned to, since he seems to wear the training unit badge on the pocket? Do I see a backing to the parachutist?s brevet?

Nice pics Simon, makes one want to experience that tingling feeling of jumping again...

/GRA

It isn't a unit badge. It is the "PMP" badge. PMP means Pr?paration Militaire Parachutiste: it's a parachute course for young people, which are about 16-18 years old but aren't soldiers. The course length is 2 weeks and they have to do 3 jumps.

is it not a PMP unit badge as opposed to a brevet?

I remember some vague thing on an RPIMA site saying something about a tradition of the 1st unit a guy served in been worn on the eppaulette. The site was by an RPima guy in Algeria and had him with one Rpima badge on the breast pocket and another on the eppaulette

People don't always do what is logical.

It was and is normally forbidden to wear this badge for active duties soldiers, even when they don't have the "big one", but it is done... more rarely today than thirty years ago, but it exists!