News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

question on 'nationality' in the German Empire

Hi!

I have a question about Consuls. I have two kurhessian Consuls in austria, one in Vienna and one in Triest. They are both austrian nationals (confirmed) but in they received their ODM in the service of the Kurf?rst. Should I treat them as foreign recipients (for their nationality) or as domestic ones (because they were kurhessian Consuls receiving a kurhessian decoration)?

Hope you can advise me

regards

David

Guest Rick Research

That's a good question! We often find, say, a citizen of Oldenburg who spent his entire life at the Court of Reuss or something similarly strange.

In your case here, I would say...

treat them as "foreign."

If they had been servants of the state IN Electoral Hesse, then they'd have been at home and so "native." But since they were subjects of another monarch in THAT monarch's lands, they were "foreign."

That seems logical-- though don't know whether that is how such trans-nationals were seeen back THEN! :cheers:

That's a good question! We often find, say, a citizen of Oldenburg who spent his entire life at the Court of Reuss or something similarly strange.

In your case here, I would say...

treat them as "foreign."

If they had been servants of the state IN Electoral Hesse, then they'd have been at home and so "native." But since they were subjects of another monarch in THAT monarch's lands, they were "foreign."

That seems logical-- though don't know whether that is how such trans-nationals were seeen back THEN! :cheers:

Thanks Rick

I had a similar idea, but did not know if it was loigcal

David