News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Murder of SPS Thomas Green 1919

Hello I am new to the forum and am starting to see I have missed quite a bit. In any event, I am researching the murder of Station Sgt Thomas Green warrant 80417. He was murdered in rioting by Canadian soldiers in June of 1919. I was wondering if there is a place, other than at Kew, to obtain his service record, or at least an outline of his career. I have a few photos of him and I can see he was awarded with some medals. Anyway to find out what medals they were? Thanks

He would have been entitled to the 1897 Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee medal. 1902 King Edward VII Coronation Medal. 1911 George V Coronation Medal. There may also be some limited records of his service at the Metropolitan Police Museum as they hold some Divisional Records.

He would have been entitled to the 1897 Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee medal. 1902 King Edward VII Coronation Medal. 1911 George V Coronation Medal. There may also be some limited records of his service at the Metropolitan Police Museum as they hold some Divisional Records.

I should have thought about it when I ordered the complete Police file from Kew last year. I've got the police investigation into the murder PLUS I have the Canadian military court of inquiry records as well PLUS the military records of those charged with the manslaughter of Green. One last thing, I also have a statement confessing to the murder, 10 years later by a Canadian soldier. I forgot about Station Sgt Green's records...

• 2 weeks later...

How interesting, any chance you could post the pictures you have on this thread? Have you tried the local newspapers they may have printed a story on the incident? I had great luck in this avenue when researching a bobby whose medal I have, in my collection, just a thought lots of luck. Keep us posted on your findings!!!

Gordon.

Now for some reason, I can't find SPS Green's photos on my computer???? I'll have to look some more but I have emailed the Met police historical section for some archived photographs. A photo I don't have is of his headstone. If anybody has one or lives in Epsom/Surrey, I'd appreciate it. I have the entire Met police file on the riot and murder. I also have the complete military court of inquiry, along with 4 of the 5 accused's WW1 records. I also have a photo of the soldier who, 10 years later, admitted to the murder of SPS Green but couldn't be tried again. His name was Allan J. MacMaster of New-Brunswick.

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest pikemedals

i been away from home for a few weeks now and may be a few more weeks.will get back to you on this one danny.i think i got a book on this story at home.will ask the book be sent to me.paul

i been away from home for a few weeks now and may be a few more weeks.will get back to you on this one danny.i think i got a book on this story at home.will ask the book be sent to me.paul

OK thanks. The Met police historical section will be sending me what they have. I should also be getting a photo of SPS Green.

OK thanks. The Met police historical section will be sending me what they have. I should also be getting a photo of SPS Green.

I have received today a nice package from the Met police. photocopies of newspaper articles and other articles written on the event. I am including a photo of the murdered officer.

Edited by Danny

• 1 month later...
    Guest pikemedals

Dear Danny

I looked in my book and all i can come up with is the following, hopefully it will help you in some way.

CANADIAN SOLDIERS MURDER EPSOM POLICEMAN

There will not be many pensioners who can remember the occasion when a Station Sergeant was killed by a mob of drunken Canadian soldiers in the station at Epsom in 1919.

Soon after the First World War a number of Canadian soilders were convalescing in a camp at Woodcote Park, Epsom. On the evening of 17June 1919, the licencsee of the Rifleman Public House in the High Street called two PCs to eject some Canadians who had been causing trouble.

The officers ejected the trouble-makers but one Private began using obscene language and wanted to fight, so naturally he was arrested. On the way to the station Inspector Pawley and PS Durham and APS Shirley followed the detained soilder as most of the ejected men were following the prisoner and using threatening language. One of the party, James Connors, also had to be arrested for disorderly conduct and both prisoners were lodged in the cells. At this point all the remaining soilders returned noisily to their camp.

As everything then appeared to settle down, Inspector Pawley dismissed the late turn relief, but wisely held the night duty men at the station. Soon afterwards a bugle call was heard coming from the camp, and the Inspector immediately telephoned all the surrounding stations for a urgent assistance as it was obvious from the shouting and bugle calls that a large body of rioting soilders were on their way to the station. Major Ross from the camp had been contacted, and he and the Inspector tried to reason with the mob as they arriced at the station entrance, but they could not be heard above the shouting and tumult.

A concerted rush by the mob soon overpowered the small number of policemen present; all the windows were broken, the doors were battered down, and the surrounding fences were used as cudgels. Inspector Pawley and the defenders, all with truncheons drawn, had ti retreat inside and guard the window openings and the door space and they at first succeeded in keeping the mob at bay until some of them went round and battered their way way into the cell passage.

SPS THomas Green had just arrived at the station from his home where he had been off duty. He had 24 years service, was 51 years of age, and had been at Epsom for the past eight years. When the call came for help he immediately put on his uniform and cycled to the station. Sergeant Green suggested to the Inspector that they should make a charge and disperse the rioters, and this they did, driving them all out into the road. In that charge Inspector Pawley and Sergeant Green were both knocked unconscious but after the Inspector recoveredthey were again overpowered by the mob and driven back to the interior rooms.

The Inspector was then told that Sergeant Green had been severely injured and had been carried to a house on the other side of the road.

The station and the surrouning area looked liked a slaughter house with blood all over the wall and serious injuries on both sides. When it is considered the defenders were out-numbered by more than ten to one, it seems they gave a good account of themseleves.

Inspector Pawley then discovered that one prisoner had been released from the cells with the aid of a jemmy, and with Major Ross assisting, he then released the other prisoner and the soilders marched back to their camp in a body, shouting, blowing bugles, and trying to stem the flow of blood from their very considerable wounds.

The Inspector, four PSs and eight PCs were seriously injured and SPS Green died soon afterwards from multiple injuries and a fractured skull. All the railings, gates, doors and windows of the station were smashed and

some of the 400 soldiers attempted to set fire to the station.

Soon after the fighting ended Superintendent Boxall from Wandsworth arrived in a car together with about 100 PCs all on bicyles from as far afield as Wimbledon, Malden, Surbition and Wandsworth. Inspector Pawley later asked for a Service subscription through the Force to be limited to a two pence a man, and this resulted in a total sum of ?139.17.4 being collected. A further small collection was made in V Division to bring the total up to ?155.04-just 14/4d more than the cost of the Celtic Cross erected to the Sergeants memory in Epsom cemetery.

Winston Churchill expressed the greatest sympathy on behalf of the Government, and the Canadian Red Cross voted a sum of ?200 to be given to Mrs Green and her family of two teenage daughters. At what must have been one of the most distressing functions in the history of the police, in the same building in the defence of which her late husband had given his life. Mrs Green was handed the small change, and as might be expected she was asked to sign a receipt, witnessed by the indomitable Inspector Pawley.

In Epsom Police station there is an old group photograph of local Policemen, including Inspector Pawley, SPS Green PC Hinton and others who had made the original arrest, and there is also a picture of the wrecked station with the cell bars wrenched off, the broken windows and metal railings, and standing in front are the two PCs and a Army Lance Corporal wearing puttees; I imagine the latter must surely be a Royal Artillery man.

The photograph of Sergeant Green's gravestone clearly shows the words: IN MEMORY OF SPS THOMAS GREEN WHO FOUND DEATH IN THE PATH OF DUTY. HE WAS KILLED IN DEFENDING THR EPSOM POLICE STATION AGAINST A RIOTOUS MOB. There is also a cutting from a paper which reads 'Souvenir in Commemoration of the Presentation by Lord Rosebery to the brave Epsom Policemen. As a sequel to the attack on Epsom Policemen station by several hundred Canadian soldiers last June, Inspector Pawley and 23 Sergeants and Constables will each receive a gold watch or gold chain in recognition of the bravery displayed during the attack. 20 of the men have selected watches and the others chains. Lord Rosebery will make the presentation on January 14 1920. A fund amounting to ?567 was raised on the appeal of Lord Rosebery for the purpose of recognising the men's conduct against overwhelmimg odds. God save the King'

The old ivy covered station in Ashley Avenue, the scene of the fighting, has been demolished. Its roof was badly damaged by a bomb during the last war, it was then temporarily used as a store and later pulled down, but the Public House in the High Street, the Rifleman, is still there, showing the same name. Eight soldiers were charged with the manslaughter and five were convicted and sent to prison for 12 months, a rather lenient punishment for such a crime.

Whilst on a visit to the station i learned that one of Sergeant Green's daughters is still alive and living in Canada and she sends a Christmas card to the 'Officers of Epsom Police Station' each year. I have since had the pleasure of making contact with her. by geoffrey taylor

Guest pikemedals

hi danny the book is LONDON POLICE THEIR STORIES 80 YEARS AT THE SHARP END by merlin unwin books isbn1-873674-36-8 published in 1998 it a paperback at ?7.99.some good stories in it.hope you can find a copy many thanks paul :cheers:

hi danny the book is LONDON POLICE THEIR STORIES 80 YEARS AT THE SHARP END by merlin unwin books isbn1-873674-36-8 published in 1998 it a paperback at ?7.99.some good stories in it.hope you can find a copy many thanks paul :cheers:

Available through Amazon. Thanks Paul

• 1 month later...

Here is a superb photo of Station Sgt Green. Could someone help me with the medals he is wearing? Thanks

The Chairman already answered this above, but the photo confirms him. 1911 Metropolitan Police Coronation medal, 1902 Metropolitan Police Coronation Medal, 1897 Metropolitan Police Jubilee Medal.

And he's wearing them in the wrong order - most recent first! If you check the constable in the upper right he's got the same medals, but worn correctly.

It's interesting how the ribbons turned out in black and white: the 1911 ribbon is red with three dark blue stripes, the 1902 red with a central dark blue stripe, while the 1897 is a very dark blue, almost black - and yet it shows lightest of all!

Edited by Michael Johnson

The Chairman already answered this above. but the photo confirms him. 1911 Metropolitan Police Coronation medal, 1902 Metropolitan Police Cornation Medal, 1897 Metropolitan Police Jubilee Medal.

And he's wearing them in the wrong order - most recent first! If you check the constable in the upper right he's got the same medals, but worn correctly.

Thanks. I was aware of the answer from the Chairman, but since this photo was larger and much clearer, just wanted to confirm.