News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

20 years to the DDR medal and NVA sport badge

Thanks for your replay, speedytop! my question about the 20 years medal was because the reverse is blank and I remember that I saw that on the reverse their should be some writing. is this another difference between the Medaille and the Ehrenmedaille?

Hi,

that is correct, the better medal is for meritorious party members (SED), awarded with document.

Uwe

but I never managed to find any picture of this very document... all documents related to the 20th anniversary I saw were given without medal.

Guest Rick Research

Neither of these are in my 1978 DDR book on DDR awards. That even shows the awards of the phony front "political parties" and "independent peace organizations." :(

Hi,

I can refer only to Frank Bartel, DDR-Spezialkatalog 1949-1990, 2nd edition 1998, page 371:

"Sozialistische Einheitspartei Deutschlands (SED)

Erinnerungsmedaille "20 Jahre DDR"

4374 Bronze goldfarben, emailliert, an samtbezogener Spange mit Auflage XX, ?bergeben mit Ehrenurkunde (1969)"

With a picture on page 370, exact the medal in Post 5. Original with a case, see also Post 5

It is an SED honour award.

Regards

Uwe

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd add my 2 cents here. Got in touch directly with Frank Bartel on this award and, although he indicated very little is known about particulars of the award, it should be classified, as has been pointed out, as an SED Honour Award. I'm fortunate enough to have one in it's original case (no document though). As the medal's obverse has already been shown, I'm including images of the medal in case and the reverse of the medal.