News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hannoversches Dragoner-Regiment Nr.16 Mutze

Gentlemen,

I have crossed into the "No Man's Land" if you will of my collecting interests. Until recently, I focused my attention soley to Imperial German awards and badges. However, after seeing this little piece lying on a seller's table, I decided to say what the heck and go ahead and purchase it.

After a bit of researching, I noticed that Der Rittmeister had one for sale and attribute's the colors and cockades, to be of the Hannoversches Dragoner Regiment Nr. 16. Like I said, this is my first venture and I want to make sure that those in the know please give a helping hand.

The condition i'd rate is Good. For there are several month nips and holes on the top and reverse. (Can't win them all I guess.) The interior is interesting for it is mentioned on Der Rittmeister that the interior has no stamps whatsoever and the lining shimmers when tilting it back and forth. Possible private issue? Another interesting observation is that the sweatband has an early 1900's German newspaper folded into place to "stiffen" the Cap. All in all, I'm happy to have acquired it and certainly looking forward to all those who can shed some more light on the unit history. Thank you!

Regards,

Joel

Joel,

Congratulations for taking the plunge! I personally find varied collections more interesting than one dimensional ones. The newspaper is more of a "sizer" than a stiffener. It's a cheap way of adjusting the fit. Is the body of the cap power blue or gray? It is hard to tell from the pictures. This is a typical privately purchased cap. There were no issue caps that had this "Teller" (dinner plate) style.

Chip

Joel, from your pictures the yellow looks very pale. If so, it's likely the 4th or the 21nd Dragoner Regiment.

from: RJ Marrion, Lancers and Dragoons - Uniforms of the Imperial German Cavalry 1900-1914

Hardy

Edited by Naxos

Naxos,

Thanks for the reference. I was led to believe that the yellow may have been sun faded on this one. However, there are various shades of yellow from light to dark denoting various units? Hmmm... I may need to take better shots in the natural light to be sure.

Regards,

Joel

Edited by buellmeister

Joel, Next time you buy a hat, you really should use the excellent full-Color M?tzen Charts on kaisers bunker.

Quote - Full color drawings of all known types of pre-1910 Dunkelblau and M1907/10 Feldgrau cloth headgear for all arms. Over 360 full-color drawings. All military units shown. http://www.kaisersbunker.com/ht/farben/farben8.htm

I use it all the time. it is excellent!!!!

Thomas,

Indeed I will. I didn't realize how many variations of color pattern and insignia there were... The color match of the yellow looks as though it is Zitrongelb. Man, I think I have started a collecting interest all in it's own on Imperial headgear. Uh oh!

Regards,

Joel

Edited by buellmeister

• 3 years later...

Gentlemen,

In my search for information on my father's unit, Andy has recently suggested that he may be wearing the uniform of a Dragoner Regiment and, specifically, of Nr.16.

This came about because I posted that he was born and lived in Hamburg - some 35 mules from Luneberg - and because a)the "overall" trousers fastened under the boot indicated a cavalry unit, b)his cap appears to have a light coloured band. In addition, I believe I can identify in the pic the "permanent" type spurs (screwed to the sides of the boot heel and with a nail/spike into the back of the heel) that I retained along with a pair of calibrated lensed fieldglasses, as his only military souvenirs.

He died when I was still young and, perhaps because he felt it might be somewhat heavy baggage for a British schoolboy to carry in the early 1950's, never mentioned his service in the Prussian army during WW1.

I believe the photo was taken in 1914. Any help with unit, rank etc would be greatly appreciated.

Herbert

Gentlemen, Andy has recently suggested that my father may be wearing the uniform of a Dragoner Regiment and, specifically, of Nr.16.

I had posted that he was born and lived in Hamburg - some 35 mules from Luneberg - and because a)the "overall" trousers fastened under the boot indicated a cavalry unit, b)his cap appears to have a light coloured band. In addition, I believe I can identify in the pic the "permanent" type spurs (screwed to the sides of the boot heel and with a nail/spike into the back of the heel) that I retained along with a pair of calibrated lensed field glasses. He died when I was still young and never mentioned his service in the Prussian army during WW1.

I believe the photo was taken in 1914. Any help with unit, rank etc would be greatly appreciated.

Herbert