News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkey-Allied or German souvenier...

Chris Boonzaier

Anzac

Marseilles

Sailley

Wallon Cappelle

Estaires

Rue de Bouis

Fleur XXXX

Somme

Outerstein

Tel el Kebir

Heliopolis

Cairo

Ismalia

Toussoune

Port XXXX

Serapeon

Lemnos

Are roughly chipped in with a pin or something sjhrp.

The seller said it was from a German POW.. I argued more likely an Australian or Kiwi soldier....

From the bits of green, I would say these were all until recently on a belt.....

Anzac

Marseilles

Sailley

Wallon Cappelle

Estaires

Rue de Bouis

Fleur XXXX

Somme

Outerstein

Tel el Kebir

Heliopolis

Cairo

Ismalia

Toussoune

Port XXXX

Serapeon

Lemnos

Are roughly chipped in with a pin or something sjhrp.

The seller said it was from a German POW.. I argued more likely an Australian or Kiwi soldier....

From the bits of green, I would say these were all until recently on a belt.....

Could just as easily be an Englishman or even someone from the UK I think.

Do you spell those places the same in English as in German? Shame the give away town of Ypres/Ypern isn't there.

Tony

The British ones ?

The Welch Regiment one, post # 1, 5th from left bottom row is post c1922, the spelling was ?Welsh? prior to then.

To the right of the middle & the bottom rows are Kings Crown Royal Marine Light Infantry, c1902 ? 1935.

Top one in post # 3 is Scottish Horse, I can?t remember the intricacies of their insignia crowns, but they wore what looks like a Victorian Crown post Queen Victoria ? a Scottish Crown.

Post # 4, the second from left top row is a design worn by a number of police forces (still worn by many in chrome finish with St Edwards Crown nowadays) & by a couple of yeomanry regiments, can?t remember which ones.

Second from left, middle row is the 1902 ? circa 1952 General Service button, worn as a general pattern by Other in Ranks Line Infantry regiments instead of regimental pattern buttons ( I was issued a grey cape with Kings Crown GS buttons for wear on Public Duties in 1976).

I like that bottom left item ? French intelligence?

"The Welch Regiment one, post # 1, 5th from left bottom row is post c1922, the spelling was ?Welsh? prior to then."

That would seem to fit, when I told the seller that I thought it was stuff from an allied soldier not a German because the Germans were never in Cairo he said it was from a German POW who was in camps in North Africa until the early 1920s.

Any idea how long the last POWs were kept?

My wife's grandad was kicked out of France (after taking part in some clearing up) in Feb. 1921. According to their family tales, he was there longer than most but who knows. Maybe the French didn't keep them as long as elsewhere.

Tony

Edited by Tony