News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I recently acquired a grouping of DKiG winner Alfred Haremsa that includes a silver wedding plate, a homemade album of large photos taken during U-617's visit to Vienna in 1943, many individual photos, and an engraved watch. Here are some of the highlights of the grouping.

Grouping Overview

Edited by Erik Krogh

Very nice grouping. Last time I was over at the U-Boot Archiv I completed a search through all the albums for each individual boat, looking for DK winners. No "portrait" type shots of Haremsa unfortunately, but I can confirm that the shot with the mother does indeed show Haremsa. This was the only shot of him I could find at the Archiv. Definitely the same guy.

Very nice grouping. Last time I was over at the U-Boot Archiv I completed a search through all the albums for each individual boat, looking for DK winners. No "portrait" type shots of Haremsa unfortunately, but I can confirm that the shot with the mother does indeed show Haremsa. This was the only shot of him I could find at the Archiv. Definitely the same guy.

Gordon,

Thank you for the very quick confirmation of Haremsa's identity. You always seem to have a ready answer...

Here is another shot of Haremsa (on right) with another sailor. The grouping has very few photos of Haremsa himself: he appears to have been a fairly modest man.

Thanks, Joel!

Interesting tradition badges on the "flowers" group photo: a u-boat. Not what I would have expected, as this badge does not reflect any of the three U-Flotillas that U-617 was associated with (5th, 7th, 29th).

I've scanned as much detail as I can get - here are two different caps in wear.

What a great grouping!! The photos are the best part for me! Are there any with him wearing the DKiG? He looks very young. When he passed in 66, he must have been in his forties, at the oldest.

What a great grouping!! The photos are the best part for me! Are there any with him wearing the DKiG? He looks very young. When he passed in 66, he must have been in his forties, at the oldest.

Thanks, Paul!

There are no photos of Haremsa wearing the DKiG. Either he was extremely modest and didn't keep any or perhaps the family held on to those photos.

Does anyone know where I can research the circumstances of his DKiG award? Probably the Archiv, but any online sources?

Best,

Erik