News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

There are a number of badges with this written on, Braune Messe, any ideas anyone, the general meaning?

A brown meeting/fair/gathering?

Brown what? Shirts?

I have such a daybadge with a ship named "Cap Polonio" atop a shield on which is written "Braune messe, Hamburg 1933", below which is a swastika.

The ship looks like a large cruise ship and I know it ran between Hamburg and Buenos Aires at the time.

Anyone think what the badge represented?

C

Braune Messe is a boycott against purchasing goods from Jewish owned businesses. It started after the Machtergreifung and soon became an organized event in Germany where your tinnies might be purchased by the population to show their support. The slogan of the Braune Messe is "Dem deutschen K?ufer deutsche Waren in deutschen Gesch?ften" which essentially translates "For the German Buyers, German Goods in German Establishments". The tinny with Cap Poloino on it, thus might represent a sponsorhip by the owner of that cruise ship to show their support of this boycott by the issuance of the tinny with their ship's name on it. Check out this web page:

http://www.adolf-reichwein-schule.de/315.0.html

Edited by sdesember

Guest Rick Research

I've got a listing of every German merchant vessel's fate during the Second War and no "Cap Polonio" so it must have been scrapped before 1939.

Cap Polonio almost suffered the same fate as a ship called L?beck that I perchanced came upon in my research on another topic (Boye, Leutnant zuer See - Reserve). Almost...that is that it was being traded around as a war-thropy as part of Germany's reparations to, first, the American then to the British after the Great War.

It appeared Cap Poloino was scrapped in 1935 (?), according to this article and parts of its interior was sold off and now, they reside in a hotel in Pinneberg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany:

http://schiffe.free-25.de/Polonio.htm

(Some B&W photos of the ship are there too.)

Web page of Hotel Cap Polonio:

http://www.cap-polonio.de/

Ask and ye shall receive... thanks for all the great info and help.

Some of my badges now have a new sense of history, looking through some of the badges they are from 1933, and clearly part of that organised propaganda campaign against Jewish businesses.

Thanks again, very much appreciated one and all.

C