News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

... great - thanks a lot Hardy! :beer:

No problem;

Ulsterman is right you cannot get some years, but here are the years I downloaded so-far: 1859, 1864, 1866, 1871, 1872, 1874, 1876, 1879

Hardy

No problem;

Ulsterman is right you cannot get some years, but here are the years I downloaded so-far: 1859, 1864, 1866, 1871, 1872, 1874, 1876, 1879

Hardy

Oh, my heart went pitter-patter for a moment. I've been trying to get a copy of Nr. 119 from 1934 for almost a year. Oh well, guess I need to keep trying.

Paul

Hardy;

This is an amazing resource. I know (electronically) someone who bought a great number of these in the original paper issues some years ago. I can't imagine what he paid, and of course you can search these quickly.

In a short time I was able to find several mentions of my grand-father, even giving me some information on his service as an artillery NCO.

But poking about these on-line books raises some questions. Only a minority of the volumes can really be gone thru, at least on-line, for example, a volume for 1904, and I think the first volume (Jan. thru June) of 1893. (Latter great for me; g-f was made an officer in early 1893.) Most or all of these are from the same source, the University of Michigan. These seem to be three classes of volumes. Some can actually be opened and read thru on-line, pages printed off. But this only seem to be a small number. Many others can be searched thru and if there is a hit on a name you see a snippet of the text, say three lines. Finally, there are many that seemingly can't be opened or searched.

If a volume is down-loaded, can you then still have a search function? (I suspect not.) But perhaps you can open and read that volume. Can you download to a CD, or only to your hard drive?

Why are some able to be opened, and others, perhaps older, cannot?

The search facility seems to suggest that now they have OCR schemes that can read Fraktur. I was told several years ago that this was not the case.

But this is a tremendous resource.

Bob Lembke