News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Zhukov

Megan

Guest Rick Research

Is this a GOVERNMENT award or one of the knickknacks peddled by the delusional lunatics who assert that they are the Presidium of the "Soviet Union?"

It is so ghastly, I wonder.

Guest Rick Research

True. But think how nice it would be if we WERE the International Aesthetic Design Board instead of whoever is doing it now! :cheeky:

The iconography here is... OFF-- even by Russian standards. The rivetted shield design here is the "traditional" emblem of State Security and the variously-incarnately police apparatus. NOTHING whatsoever to do with Soviet/Russian MILITARY at all. That's what made me :Cat-Scratch: and wonder if it was one of the Parallel Universe jobs.

Completely inappropriate design that should never have made the semi-finals. :speechless:

Inclined to agree...

Interestingly it's the only 'new' award that comes in the Soviet style of a pin-on breast badge (although they hung onto a few of the old ones with the red stars, hammers & sickles etc. ripped off). Hopefully they'll ditch it.

I agree 100%. The design leaves a lot to be desired and has no relation to the military. For such a crude design to be used for such an esteemed military leader is beyond me. Especially for a high Order.

The date of institution being so early following the creation of the Federation, it is quite possible that some malcontent in the wood pile reached into the waste basket of rejected designs and slapped the poor marshal's face on it simply for expediency's sake. Anyway, it sure looks that way.

And Rick is right on the money, this looks like it's right out of the FSB/KGB design bureau... When you look at Russian Federation awards, the early ones that came out under president Yeltsin seem rather crude and quickly thrown together, like previously mentioned, most probably for expediency's sake.

A governmental heraldry service was created in early 2000 and since them the designs of awards have greatly improved. Many state symbols have also been completely redone, including many military emblems.

• 3 years later...
    • 4 months later...
    • 2 months later...

The design certainly leaves a lot to be desired.

The new Russian awards seem to be a odd collection of good and awful styles. Most of the USSR awards that were retained such as Ushakov, Nakhimov, Suvarov and Kutuzov are, not just step back, but a giant leap back.

Yet the Nevski is quite attractive, as is the Merit to the Fatherland.

The "Friendship" is bad; they should have adapted the USSR design. And "Puskin" looks like a cartoon sheep, simply awful.

Well Jerry,

you wouldn't believe, but this is exact reproduction of Pushkin self-portrait from his diary

see http://www.primetour.ua/files/Pushkin_avtoportret.jpg

On the medal obverse Pushkin looks like ... Pushkin ;)

see http://www.sobiratel.net/zasluga/Russia/RF/RF/Pushkin/Puskin.jpg

By the way - this is very rare medal.

Between 1999 and 2013 only 774 medals were issued!

Cheers,

Nick

Nick's correct in his assessment of the Pushkin medal. There was no "botched" design (for lack of a better word), this is an actual self portrait and it has proved quite fitting to the recipients of the award.

Its rare in a bad way :D They probobly realised no one liked receiving it :)

Obviously they should put something nice on obverse (like maple leaf or puck) instead of the man profile (to whom this medal is devoted) :lol:

You know its bad when China doesn't even want to copy these ! :D lol

Now let's apply this rigorous criterion to canadian medals edb2164c3054f6c7e181c4cc476889e0.gif

Edited by JapanX

Obviously they should put something nice on obverse (like maple leaf or puck) instead of the man profile (to whom this medal is devoted) :lol:

Now let's apply this rigorous criterion to canadian medals edb2164c3054f6c7e181c4cc476889e0.gif

Since Canada is my home and my origin is from Europe, I think I have some experience to comment the good and bad of design (St Sava being one of the most beautiful medals my origin from Serbia has done) :D hehehe

I'm talking from experience ! Canada has some of the worst coin and medal designs in history lol :) but also some of the most beautiful. Therefore, we know what is hit or miss, low mintage doesn't mean people will end up collecting it if its ugly.

Then again,

The Maple leaf is a nice symbol on a coin. I've never seen a puck on a coin without being accompanied by the hockey stick :D

There are some hits and misses in medal design but the Pushkin design that was commented on certainly isnt a hit :D yet to some it might be, something odd and strange in design is sometimes desirable to other, I love my Omega PloProf, but others hate it. Its hard to comment on something and say you don't like it when its from your country of origin I guess the Pushkin could be one of these.

We have to look on the bright side, at least no one has chosen a lot of Abstract design on a medal or coin lol one that is brought to mind is that strange "Voice of Fire" in our National Art Gallery, that is just a huge line down the center of the canvas (blue,red,blue in it's colors), crazy something you, or I, or the kids can do can fetch 1.8mil "Voice of Fire", theres a reason theres only 1 of these types of artists out there. Its an odd painting yet makes you think and discuss all the same time :(

At least the Canadian Olympic medals for Vancouver looked nice in their abstract form, trying to evoke a new design.

Edited by Rogi

Since Canada is my home and my origin is from Europe, I think I have some experience to comment the good and bad of design

Gotcha! :lol:

There are some hits and misses in medal design but the Pushkin design that was commented on certainly isnt a hit :D

The only element of "Pushkin medal design" is Pushkin profile...

Looks like you simply don't like how he looks in profile :lol:

Gotcha! :lol:

The only element of "Pushkin medal design" is Pushkin profile...

Looks like you simply don't like how he looks in profile :lol:

Definatley not the front :D especially when its an award for art, culture,education,humanities, literature, could of at least put a better image of him on it :D

I do like the reverse with his signature :)