News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

MoH Navy (Tiffany Cross)

DKOSTAS

Hello everybody,

Can anybody give me some information about the MoH (Tiffany Cross)? :jumping: Specially pictures if possible. Also, are they all named, are there any around? if yes from were?

Thank you Kostas :speechless:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

Can anybody give me some information about the MoH (Tiffany Cross)? :jumping: Specially pictures if possible. Also, are they all named, are there any around? if yes from were?

Thank you Kostas :speechless:

Kostas, here is all I could find about the Tiffany Cross. Apparantly it was so named because of the company that manufactured it.

"Between 1919 and 1942, the Navy issued two separate versions of the Medal of Honor, one for non-combat bravery and the other for combat-related acts. Official accounts vary, but presumably the combat Medal of Honor was known as the "Tiffany Cross", after the company that manufactured the medal. "The Tiffany" was first issued in 1919, but was rare and unpopular, partly because it was presented both for combat and noncombat events.[27] As a result, in 1942 the United States Navy reverted to a single Medal of Honor, awarded only for heroism.[28"

Hope this helps. I've heard of these things before, but it is my understanding that they're about as rare as hen's teeth.

untitled.bmp

Edited by Nick Link

''Tiffany Cross'' MOH

In 1919 a decision was made by the Secretary of the Navy to adopt seperate designs for MOH combat and non-combat heroism awards.

The new MOH became known as the ''Tiffany Cross'' because it was designed by Tiffany & Company of New York.

The first style of the Tiffany Cross is known as the Navy Type VI (1919-1927) and differs from the Navy Type VII (1927-1942) in that the suspension ring is soldered directly to the top of the arm on the Type VII, the Type VI has a small added finger to which the suspension ring is added.

Official accounts vary, but generally the non-combat Medal of Honour was known as the Tiffany Cross, after the company that manufactured the medal. The Tiffany Cross was first issued in 1919 but was rare and unpopular, partly because it was presented both for combat and non-combat events. The Navy continued to award the Type V MOH for non-combat heroism during the period 1919-1942 according to The Call of Duty book so this point remains somewhat unclear.

On the 7th august 1942 Congress discontinued the use of the ''Tiffany Cross'' returning to the use of a single MOH

''Tiffany Cross'' Awardees(18)

Joel Boone

Louis Cukela

Charles Hamman

Eduoard Izac

Ernest Janson

John Kelly

Matej Kocak

Weedon Osborne

John Pruiett

Robert Robinson

John Siegel

Ralph Talbot

Floyd Bennett Non-Combative Action

William Button

Richard Byrd Non-Combative Action

Herman Hanneken

Frank Schilt

Daniel A.J. Sullivan

Names: Tiffany Cross MOH, New Navy MOH ''Gold Cross'' or as Navy Type VI (1919-1927) or VII (1927-1942)

The current Air Force Medal of Honour is the "rarest" awarded only 13 times since its inception in 1964.

Regards Eddie