News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

More Burma/Myanmar unknowns

JBFloyd

• 5 months later...
    • Replies 101
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For this medal I do NOT have ID, but than Shwe is wearing it on its second row of medal (1st from left).

If any one could helps.I would be glad.

Emmanuel

Mongyoung - Methawaw Battle Medal.

• 11 months later...
    STATE PEACE AND DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL
    In order to establish a discipline- flourishing democratic system and to materialize a peaceful, modern and developed nation in the interests of the State and the people, it has become necessary to exert vigorous efforts with accelerated momentum. Accordingly, the State Peace and Development Council was formed as called for by the situation and condition.
    The State Law and Order Restoration Council issued its Proclamation No. 1/ 97 on 15 November 1997. Under the Proclamation, the State Law and Order Restoration Council was dissolved. The State Peace and Development Council was formed under its proclamation No.1/97.
    TITLES AND MEDALS
    The State Peace and Development Council confers titles and medals yearly on Sayadaws who are making efforts for purification, perpetuation and propagation of Buddha Sasana, Gandaduta Pariyatti Lecturer Sayadaws, Wipassanadura Patipatti Meditation Instructor Sayadaws, Roving Dhamma Kahtika and local and foreign missionaries, lay persons who are donating four requisites to the Buddha Sasana, Tatmadaw members who valiantly carried out their duties for independence, perpetuation of sovereignty and protecting life and safety of nationals, persons making outstanding performances in development of industrial, management, social sectors and civil affairs and members of Myanmar Police Force.
    The medals include religious titles, Medals of Honour, Good Military Service medals, Good Civil Service medals, Good Police Service medals, Medals of Honour for Police Force, Civil Service Medals, Rule of Law and Order Medals and Joint Combat Medals for Police Force.
    A list of Abidaja Maha Ratta Guru title, Agga Maha Pandita title, and religious title recipient Sayadaws, nuns, local and foreign missionaries, donors of four requisites to the Sasana, name of recipients of titles and medals of honour, recipients of military good services medals, recipients of good service personnel medals, Good services in Police Force Medals, Long Service in Police Force Medals, Civil Services Medals, Rule of Law and Order Medals and Joint Combat Police Force Medals are announced yearly on January 4, the Independence Day.
    The Government confers following titles and medals of honour.
    Abidaja Maha Ratta Guru Title,
    Agga Maha Pandita,
    Agga Maha Gandavasaka Pandita (Sayadaws/ Nuns)
    Maha Dhamma Kahtika Bahuzanahita Data,
    Agga Maha Dhammar Htanarcariya,
    Maha Kamma Htanarcariya,
    Cula Kamma Htanarcariya,
    Abidaza Agga Maha Thatdahamma Zawtika,
    Agga Maha Thatdhamma Zawtika,
    Maha Thadhammma Zawtika (Sayadaws/ Nuns/ Lay persons)
    Thatdhamma Zawtika Daja (Sayadaws/ Nuns/ Lay persons)
    Agga Maha Thiri Thudhamma Mani Zawta Dara,
    Thiri Thudhamma Manizawta Daja,
    Thiha Thudhamma Manizawta Daja,
    Thudhamma Manizawta Daja,
    Agga Maha Thiri Thudhamma Theingi,
    Thiha Thudhamma Theingi,
    Theingi,
    Military titles and medals of honour
    Aung San Thuriya,
    Thiha Thura,
    Thura,
    Dagun
    Zarni
    Pyidaungzu Zarni
    Title for Valour
    Aung San
    Thiha Bala
    Independence Medal
    Independence Organizational Medal
    Ayaydawbon Medal
    Pyithu Thargaung
    Military Services Medal
    Pyipa Yanhnein
    People's Militia Combat Medal
    State Peace and Development Medal
    Mongyoung - Methawaw Battle Medal
    Military Service Honorary Medal
    Medal for Development of the State
    Combat Medal (1962 - 74) (1974 - 88) (1988 - 90)
    Combat Medal (Mela) (Hpa - lu)
    Military Service Medal
    Medal of Military Good Services
    Golden Jubilee Medal
    Yan Nyein Aye Medal
    Medals for Outstanding Performances
    Medal for Outstanding Performances in Industrial Field (First,Second and Third Class)
    Medal for Outstanding Performances in Management Field (First,Second and Third Class)
    Ye Thura Medal
    Ye Kyawthu Medal
    Good Service Personnel Medals
    Police Good Service Personnel Medal
    State Police Force Medal
    Service Personnel Medal
    Rule of Law and Order Medal
    Joint Operation Medal for Police Force

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Gentlemen,

This is another Burma Group, with 4 Medals, the 2 first are well known,

From left to right : Military Service Medal - Medal for Battle in People's War - Sithmuhtan That - Company Commander Training Course.

It's extremely hard to get (cheap but hard to get)

Sithmuhtan is a kind of long service award as long as I could understand.

All the best.

Emmanuel

This is a picture of another Sithmuhtan That (with 4 white stripe at right hand side & 5 star on the enameled green bar).

That green bar is suppose to be related to the current army rank (not 100 % sure).

Below are ribbon bars with Sithmuhtan That ribbon on 2 row from bottom at right hand side, ounce with 3 white, ounce with 2 white stripes.

So now you can see exemple of ribbon with 4, 3, 2 white stripes at right hand side (and a very tiny white stripe at left).

To add to the mystery, the group posted above is a Sithmuhtan That with NO white stripe at right hand side , but with 2 very small white line at left hand side.

Maybe different ribbon for NCO & for Officer ? Even having visiting their brand new Army Museum in Nay Pyi taw is not so easy to understand.

It seems there was a system of awards before to 1962 Ne Win Revolution, one for the period 1962-1990....with some changes, and since 1990 there was some new changes in the shapes and ribbons.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

The Burma/Myanmar Army has some rank decoration (2 post further), and some Training Course Award.

Batallion Commander Training Course (light green ribbon with dark green central stripe)

Company Commander Training Course (red ribbon with 2 blue stripes)

Platoon Commander Training Course (blue ribbon with yellow stripe at left)

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

These are the deocration for Army College :

Military College Decoration for Officer - Command & General Staff College (ribbon with green outer stripes)

Military College Decoration for Officer - National Defense College for Officers below General Staff rank (ribbon with bleu outer stripes)

In Official Reception in Yangon I was some General wearing them.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here the rank decoration (it seems they exist only for the lowest NCO rank)

RSM Rank (yellow ribbon with 2 tiny green stripes)

Sergeant Rank (purple ribbon with large saffron yellow center stripe)

Corporal Rank (dark blue ribbon with tiny red stripe at right hand side).

By the way I have no idea what RSM rank means.

All the best

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here is a miniature group (even those are very hard to get).

From left toright :

Armed Force Long & Faithfull Service - Mineyan Methawaw Taikypwe (also refer as Mongyoung Methawaw Battle Medal) but it's 2 different way to design same battle - Naingan A Kyow Zaung - Sitpwe (1988-1990) or Combat Medal 1988-1990

On later post I will give more détails on medals.

Miniature size are between 17 & 20 millimeters.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

This is the Burma Mineyan Methawaw Taikypwe (for the battle Mongyoung)

Full size medal has a diameter of 32 millimeters.

Very easy to get in Yangon (Rangoon), but with ribbon....incredible how hard it is to get a few inches of ribbon !!!

Emmanuel

This is the Naingan A Kyow Zaung from Ministry of Defense web site.

No more info about this medal. If someone can read burmese and read what is written on back side of the miniature group posted 2 post above, he's most welcome to make comment. When I asked in Yangon, I was reply : it's some sort of military.....people still scared about to give information, I guess.

Emmanuel

Here the Sitpwe or Combat Medal with ribbon respective to different period of awards : 1962-1974 (gilded medal mainly dark blue ribbon), then 1974-1988 (silvered mainly yellow ribbon) , then 1988-1990 (bronze medal mainly green ribbon).

But these ribbon are hard to get, from tailor shop you can get sheet of 2,5 inches no more.....

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

About these 3 I know very few.

They are Tatmadaw Gonhtoozaung 1st Class (mainly purple ribbon), 2nd Class & 3rd Class (mainly green ribbon)

Tatmadaw means Army or Military, but in officers group you often see these as ribbon or as full size medals.

Enjoy.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here I'am listing some higher ranking awars of Burma/Myanmar

Here is Sithmuhtan Thingaha.

I was never able to get a full size (even without ribbon), but Lucky me, I got a miniature with its original ribbon.

Miniature is gilded metal & 18 millimeters in diameter.

I just can say it's an award for the 3 branchs of the armed force,a s in center are symbol of Army, Navy & Air Force.

Anyone who got more information relevant to all thes emedals is most welcome to post here.

Regards.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

According to soldier I spoke to at Army Museum in Nay Pyi Taw (in a "so so English"), this medal :

Pyithuthargaung is the highest a soldier could expect, but you almost have to die for, to get it.

There is one in the showcase of the museum, but apart that single one, I never ever saw (even the ribbon) on a medal bar of a NCO or Officer.

Regards.

Emmanuel

Here is a medal that is more often met on Officers Group.

It is Yan Nyein Aye : A Man of a Good Nation (translation from lapel scrip from National Museum Yangon where there is also medals on display, but strictly no photo there).

Than Shwe was also wearing it (second row, second from left). It seems High Staff & General Officers got their medal heavyly gilded, and soldier in bronze. Or maybe as soldier could not get replacement of their medal, the gilding is often worn off.

Regards.

Emmanuel

This is the usual kind of stuff visitor can buy, without ribbon, then you have to go in a remote place to get ribbon bar (that are 2,5 inches long)........

First row : Sithmuhtan That - Tatmadaw Gonhtowzaung 2nd Class - Naingan A Kyow Zaung

Second Row : Sitpwe 1988-90 (Combat Medal) - Tatmadaw Gonhtowzaung 3rd Class - Sitpwe 1974-88 (Combat Medal)

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here , some whar I believe now obsolete medal

The Aung San Medal for Bravery

I believe this medal was instituted somewhen in the 50ies, but might have continue to exist in the 60ies....?

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Another gallantry award, but lower to Aung San medal, it's the Thiha Bala

There is one on display in Nay Pyi Taw Army Museum.

The same remark as above. I do believe that medal was institued somewhen in the 50ies ,but might have been continued to exist in the 60ies after the revolution of 1962.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68