News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

document in hungarian

Iver

Well - without my dictionary by my side a rough translation is: The King and Apastolic Ruler in January 13th 1916 in Vienna for exceptional, etc... 1st Lieutenant Vitez Magatartasa (this may be the name of a school - not certian) who previously taught and for his exceptional abilities, etc... is awarded the right to wear the "Soldiers Cross" and the "Soldiers Medal in Silver" from this day forward in Budapest 1916, February 1st

Undersigned by the Hungarian Defense Forces Minister

this is just a best guess at this point will get out the books later...

Edited by hunyadi

Guest Rick Research

Who or what is the Scholtis, Jozsef down at the bottom? Can't read that because of the bright contrast, but looks like 16th Honved Somethingorother.

I thought it could be a decree for Silver military merit medal on ribbon of MVK awarded to Scholtis Joszef, a leutnant of 16. honved infantery regiment... I have became it with other documnet of this officer - 3 promotions decrees (to fahnrich, leutnant and oberleutnant), decree for MVK with KD and swords, photos, visiting cards and two books from military school...

Very interesting - I stand corrected - it is not the processing clerk but the awardee... interesting. As a young Lt - he was doing something very important at the shchool, I would wonder what that is????

Guest Rick Research

Almost 30 years ago when I used to do a lot of Austro-Hungarain research, Dr. Allmayer-beck of the Kriegsarchiv told me that after 1918 the records were sent to each ofthe successor states IF requested by the new citizes of those countries.

Of course, with the Nazis and then the Soviets and 50 years of Communist regimes, I have NO idea what would have happened to those records no longer in Vienna.

The fact that these are all in Hungarian suggests he MIGHT have become a Hungarian national after 1918, but then I've got paperwork from a family that lived on both sides of the (Czecho)slovak-Hungarian borders after the war.

So you MIGHT be able to track down this officer's military service record as well as the exact citations for his wartime decorations (Belohnungsantr?ge) but WHERE--

Vienna? Budapest? Prague? :speechless1:

On the promotion decree to fahnrich (dated 13.8.1913) is written, that Scholtis Jozsef, pupil of 4. grade on Nagyvaradi (now Oradea in Romania?) honved military school, is from 1.9.1913 designated as a fahnrich of 16. honved infantry regiment in Beszterczeb?nya (now Bansk? Bystrica, Slovakia)..

He lived in my city (Bansk? Bystrica) as a citizen of Czechoslovakia.. Also the informations are maybe in Prague, but a lot of informations, that were there are lost.. i have already searched there for informations about my family.. :( but maybe he served after WWI in Czechoslovak army... we will see, i will try it, but I dont have date of birth (not even a year)...

but after informations I have found, he was awarded MVK3., SMVM with swords, BMVM with swords and Karls Troop Cross... but that are awards till cca end of 1917.. maybe he was awarded later with other decorations..

Edited by Iver

Another problem is that in 1947 anyone with such documentation or history living in Czechoslovakia was labeled as a Nazi Hungarian and therefore deported. Even a young gal of 16 who ran messages between the Partisan groups in Prague was not even able to avoid this deportation. "Thankfuly" she was dumped in Budapest and rose to be a prominent communist / historian in the Hungarian Partisan Association. For this grouping - the paper trail will probably end in Hungary as these "deported undesireables" did almost everything to pick up new identities.

• 1 month later...

The information in Hungarian is the following. (Sorry for my poor English grammar)

----------------------------------------------------------

In the name of the Emperor and apostolic royal ruler (K.u.K), in the year of 1916 January 13th, the final utmost decision taken in Vienna, that the Sir, First Lieutenant to be awarded, because of the heroic display in front of the enemy (Vit?zi Magatart?sa=Heroic display), to be recognized and rewarded the military cross of valor with the trifold there to, to be worn next to the silver medal of valor

(Signum Laudis).

As a decision of this I inform You there of.

Budapest 1916 February 1st

H.......

Minister of defence

-------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Peter Nyitray

The information in Hungarian is the following. (Sorry for my poor English grammar)

----------------------------------------------------------

In the name of the Emperor and apostolic royal ruler (K.u.K), in the year of 1916 January 13th, the final utmost decision taken in Vienna, that the Sir, First Lieutenant to be awarded, because of the heroic display in front of the enemy (Vit?zi Magatart?sa=Heroic display), to be recognized and rewarded the military cross of valor with the trifold there to, to be worn next to the silver medal of valor

(Signum Laudis).

As a decision of this I inform You there of.

Budapest 1916 February 1st

H.......

Minister of defence

-------------------------------------------------------------

Peter> Thanks for trnaslating it... but.. he was awarded MVK in 1917... could it not be that he was awarded SMVM on ribbon of MVK?

Peter> Thanks for trnaslating it... but.. he was awarded MVK in 1917... could it not be that he was awarded SMVM on ribbon of MVK?

Well, that could absolutely be!

I did n?t understood exactly that part, but as you mentioned that he was awarded SMVM on ribbon of MVK, i now understand !

Greetings!

P?ter

• 4 months later...

Thanks to a friend (and also a user of this web) Peter, I got this documents from archive in Budapest. Propositions for awarding Jozsef Scholtis of HIR16, with the description of his "acts".. :)

Once again - thanks Peter...

• 1 month later...

I am fassinated by your conversation about the medal of Scholtis! I just joint the Club ten minutes ago, I am born and educated in Hungary so I can translate a bit, but I live in California for many years and forget much of the military terms. But it is correct, Scholties was avarded for his bravery the medal.

Where can I find the fellow called Glenn J. your Austro-Hungarian expert, my father and stepfather was from that period and I wonder if he has more info for me.

Klara

Klara-do a search on members "Glenn J". He may well be able to help.

We also all collectively have unusually large history libraries so may be able to help also.

What was your dads' name and do you have any other info (birth date, home city, unit?).