News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cape Police District 2- insignia, medal group, photo

The Cape Police was formed in three Divisions in 1882. The force became the Cape Mounted Police in 1904. CP1 was responsible for the Eastern Cape, CP2 in Kimberley and CP3 in Cape Town. The force did excellent work during the Anglo-Boer War with many members from the second district being involved in the Siege of Mafeking.

For some reason I forgot to post this. This medal group belonged to Lt Col Coxwell of the South African Police. He started his policing career in the Cape Police District 2 and was initially based in Grieqwaland-West in the Northern Cape Province. In 1896 a revolt broke out in the then Bechuanaland. Coxwell's unit was the first to see action on 24 December 1896 when they were attacked by a force under a Chief Galeshewe. During the Anglo-Boer War, Coxwell was part of a 54 man strong unit of the Cape Police that joined the garrisson for the defence of the town of Mafeking. He also saw service in the Transvaal. During World War 1, Coxwell was the adjutant of the German Officer's POW Camp in Pietermaritzburg. In the 1922 Industrial Revolt in Johannesburg, Captain Coxwell served as a mounted squadron commander. He retired as a District Commissioner.

His medals are as follow :

1. CAPE OF GOOD HOPE GENERAL SERVICE MEDAL ( 1880 - 1897 ) WITH " BECHUANALAND " CLASP.

2. QUEEN'S SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL ( 11TH OCTOBER 1898 - 31ST MAY 1902 ) WITH SCARCE " DEFENCE OF MAFEKING" AND "TRANSVAAL" CLASPS

3. BRITISH WAR MEDAL ( 1914 - 1920 )

Will - I did reply earlier, probably pressed return button and not add ! I am most impressed with this set - and as for the Defence of Mafeking, to an officer ! I'm sure you know the current value. You must never tell me your address - wheelchair or not - I may 'pay a visit.' Actually, I really would like to see your collection - I think even our major museums could be hard pressed to match some of your pieces.

Mervyn

Hi Mervyn,

Thanks for the positive reply. I will post some items from the BSAP and Natal Police in the future. I have some interesting ZARP items and medal but not sure if it is relevent to this specific forum.

Regards,

Will

• 7 years later...
    • 5 years later...