News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wasn't sure if this one should be under Swords - however, it is specifically for the police. Very few people realise that the early British police were armed - we mostly associate them with wooden truncheons. The fact is that in the 19th.century policing was a very dangerous occupation - there was no proper street lighting , no way to call for help (apart from a rattle) and the criminal element were armed and willing to use their weapons. The first policeman was killed only a few weeks after they first went on duty in 1829 - he was stuck head first into a drain ! Swords - and pistols - were mostly kept in the Station - to be issued in an emergency - they were issued on a regular basis to P.C.'s on dangerous beats. One of the most frightening must have been graveyard duty. To guard against body snatchers - or, as they were known, Resurrection Men, police patrolled cemetries at night. Grave robbers would dig-up recently buried corpses and sell them to medical schools and as a lot of money was involved they were violent.

The sword shown here was supplied by Parker Field - armourers to the Metropolitan Police and dates between 1840 and the 1870's - although this pattern was for County Forces - the Met. having their own style. I will post one of those another time.

Mervyn

You will note that the finish is brass - it doesn't rust. The original type of this shaped short sword , was called a Hounslow Hanger and was carried by people in the 18C. on Hounslow Heath to guard against highway men. I have no idea why the name 'hanger' - perhaps something to do with it's shape?

Interesting - I have one similar, but with steel rather than brass fittings, no engraving or manufacturerer's marks, & no scabbard. And unfortunately, I had to hacksaw it off a gate somebody had incorporated it into along with horseshoes, gin traps, a bayonet & a tulwar.