News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

My Naughty Ex-Colonial Up From The Ranks Saxon, October 1936+

[attachmentid=18159]

I actually found a dL officer in 1914 who had the Prussian MEZ2 and the then brand new for-NCO level recipients Friedrich August Medal on war ribbon for Southwest Africa... but he did NOT get the Merit Order X in WW1. So I can only guess that this guy was a Feuerwerks or similar officer, invisible while he had been an NCO. Sigh.

Dear all,

Here's one of my prettiest Saxon ribbon bar:

? Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse

? Sachsen-K?nigreich, Zivildienstorden RK 1. Klasse mit Schwertern

? Sachsen-K?nigreich, Albrechtsorden 1. Kl. mit Schwertern

? Preussen, Rotes Kreuz Medaille 3. Klasse

? Ehrenkreuz f?r Frontk?mpfer (OEK 3803)

? Sachsen-K?nigreich, Albrechtsorden 1. Klasse

? Sachsen-K?nigreich, DA f. 25 Jahre

? Preussen, Roter Adler Orden 4. Klasse

? Braunschweig, Heinrich des L?wen Orden, RK 1. Klasse

Research of Daniel Krause (many thanks! great job! :cheers::beer: ):

Fritz Albert Heinrich Graf von Schimmelmann, born 1861, alive obviously in 1934. Lt 29.09.83, OLt 12.11.90, Rittm 25.06.95, Maj 22.04.05, OTL 16.05.15. He went 1909 z.D. from Staff of Ulan Rgt. 18. Was recalled for WW1; in 1915 Delegierter der freiwilligen Krankenpflege bei der Kriegslazarettdirektion XIX, later in General Staff of the 24th InfDiv. Became Johanniter Ehrenritter 30.03.1900, got RAO4 15.09.1903, 1906 the Saxon XXV and 15.03.06 his BrH3a; SA3a 24.05.07, ?promoted? to Johanniter Rechtsritter 11.08.1908, followed by a Spanish Military Merit Order 2nd class 13.10.1908. In WW1 he received the swords and the crown to his SA3a 28.09.1915 and got a SV3aX 18.11.1916. His Prussian RKM 3 is nowhere mentioned but logically as he was Krankenpflegedelegierter. His EK is also most likely. He wears his peacetime Albert incorrectly as a double award by the side of his SA3aXmKr. The Johanniter as neck decoration and the Spanish MMO2 as a small breast star were worn in original size.

Rick Lundstr?m?s addition (good job as well... congrats! :beer: ):

Count Schimmelmann's family was Danish, raised to that degree of nobility in the 18th century. What his branch was doing in Saxony, Lord alone knows! He was born in Promnitz 14 August of 1861. The award roll for the Crown and Swords to his Albert-Knight 1st Class (only 29 instances recorded WW1) merely lists him as a "Major a.D." As Daniel has said, he was supposed to have replaced his peacetime Knight 1st with the wartime "upgrade", but apparently continued wearing both, which was possible though not the situation in his case. But his Saxon Merit Order-Knight 1st Class X (one of 400 listed) was as Oberstleutnant aD (extra thick state "V"s in shoulder boards to indicate what was "zV" status in WW2 was on the General Staff, 24th Division).?

The bummer of this purchase of mine is that I bid on von Schimmelmann's "Miniaturkettchen" but couldn't win it... :(:(:(

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio