News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SCHUMA ? Insignia, Headgear, Uniforms & Other

Schuma OFFICER'S Boards - 2 Variations-REVERSE

(The shiney Bullion didn't show up well in the above Photos, but it's there.)

But on the reverse, we see that they have 2 different types of fabric used.

So the Boards must have been made by different makers, or at different times.

Interesting variations. Txs ...... Dave/dblmed

• Replies 88
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RED / CARMINE Schuma Boards-TOPS

Maybe this red is really Carmine? Looks pretty red though to me. I found 2 Red / Carmine sleeve patches which seem to match up with them, 1 used and 1 unissued.

Txs, Dave/dblmed

Green Schuma Boards w White Swastika-TOP

Green Schuma Boards w White Swastika - I have found these in 2 variations also (so probably there are even more variants!) TOP side. Txs, ....Txs, Dave/dblmed

Green Schuma Boards w White Swastika-REVERSE

Green Schuma Boards w White Swastika - Flip them over, and 2 different fabric types are seen again. Txs, ....Dave/dblmed

Green Schuma Boards w Light Green Swastika-TOP

Green Schuma Boards w Light Green Swastika (Like in the roll of 5 which VIGS showed us), I knew existed from the prior posting.

But the MEDIUM - DARK GREEN sleeve patch is a new one to me. I have seen the lighter green (Lime Green) Schuma patch, but Not a Dark Green SCHUPO colored patch. Has anyone seen this one before?

Why would the Schuma use Light Green and also Dark Green?

(But, then again,

? the Schuma used a Lighter Green Piped Shoulder Boards with WHITE Thread Swastika,

? and

? they used a MED - DARK Green Piped Shoulder Boards with GREEN Thread Swastika

So, there must be a 'logical' reason for the 2 Green colors. Txs,Dave/dblmed

Attached - FRONT

MEDIUM - DARK Green Schuma Sleeve Patch

This patch is a beauty - and it really is a Medium to Dark Green -

NOT the Lime Green, which I have seen previously!

Also, it is slightly smaller. ........Txs, Dave/dblmed

Middle Green & Lime Green Schuma Patches

I just got in 2 Lime Green Schuma Patches (after a loooong search for one!)

When I compared them to the Middle Green Schuma patch shown previously, I was struck by some notable differences!

The Middle Green Schuma patch is

? Definitely smaller than the 'standard' size Lime Green (& Orange & others)

? Is Round, where the others are the 'standard' Oval shape

It came out of a long term Schuma collection, so that is a bit of comfort;

The construction is identical - material & stitching - also comforting;

I haven't seen another like it (although other Collectors may have)

In hand inspection, it looks right and feels right...

But, I don't know it's purpose in the Schuma scheme of things?

We do see the 2 variations of Green Schuma Shoulder Boards - so, perhaps this may account for the Middle Green Schuma patch? ...Txs, Dave/dblmed

The more Schuma items that we see - the more information that we have about this rather semi-obscure TR Organization.

Some great Schuma Photos are now emerging and finding a place in collections.

Historians in now independent countries of the former USSR / CIS have the freedom to explore all aspects of WWII as well.

Post your Schuma items for All to enjoy - & to learn from! ... Txs, Dave/dblmed

Thanks Paul,

I got into the Schuma a while back, when the prices were not quite so crazy! But, if you are patient, good buys on the Schuma sleeve patches come up from time to time on the various eStands. You are right - on the Shoulder Boards - it takes more patience to 'buy right.' But all of that is the fun of Collecting. ... Best, Dave/dblmed

I just got in a nice photo of 2 Schuma men. No writing on the back. Seller states that they

are "Ukranian" Schuma from an album. But, I can't tell?

The Photo shows, IMO:

? the Schuma LT. sleeve patch (it is 'shiney' so perhaps that will narrow down the possible types.)

? Im Dienst Der Deutschen Polizei arm bands - NICE!

? Uniforms (& Schuma wore just about anything!) that look a bit like LUFT Tunics to me.

(BUT... I am no authority on these.) One tunic has a flap pocket.

? Probable Polizei Type Collar Tabs (Patches)

? Unknown Shoulder Boards - too narrow for typical Schuma + no Swastika seen on them.

? 2 different styles and sizes of leather belts.

You may see other things that I missed! ...Txs, Dave/dblmed

• 1 month later...

Discussion of the Above Photo is best summed up as: "It seems to be [schuma, used as] Luftschutzpolizei men, due to Fliegerblouses & special LSW/SHD [narrow] shoulder boards... by my friend, lbsr." The Narrow Shoulder Boards would have been a Dark Green.

Some LUFT Collectors have the opinion that perhaps Type 1 and Type 2 Luft Fliegerblouses are seen - i.e. the apparent absence of a pocket on the Schuma man on the Left. Perhaps, the case.

The Many Colors of the Schuma The different Colors of the Schuma Sleeve Patches and Shoulder Boards remains an 'unknown' as no period Regs. or Documents have surfaced (Yet!). Perhaps Keith or Askold (or others) may have more in depth, substantiated information, and answers. The general consensus amongst Schuma collectors seems to be the following:

Officer - Schuma Shoulder BOARDS:

OFF-SB-1: Green Shoulder Boards w Silver Piping & Silver Thread Swastika = Officer.

OFF-SB-2: Silver Piping & Silver Thread Swastika on Black Shoulder Boards = Officer.

Officer - Schuma Sleeve Patches:

OFF-SL-1: Silver Wire Thread - on Black Center/Background Sleeve Patch = Officer

OFF-SL-2: All Silver Wire Thread Sleeve Patch ? on Green Background = Officer

OFF-SL-3: Silver Bullion Patch ? on Black Background = Officer

EM/NCO - Shoulder BOARDS:

OFF-SB-1: Green Piping & White Thread Swastika on Black Shoulder Boards

OFF-SB-2: Green Piping & Green Swastika on Green Shoulder Boards

OFF-SB-3: Reddish/Carmine Piping & Reddish/Carmine Swastika on Green Shoulder

................Boards

OFF-SB-4: Orange Piping w Orange Swastika on Green Shoulder Boards

EM/NCO - Schuma Sleeve Patches:

E/N-SL-1: All Greenish Thread w a Black Center & Background - on Green

................Background

E/N-SL-2: All Lime Green Thread - on Green Background

E/N-SL-3: All Medium Green Thread, as Circle not Oval ? on Green Background

...............(so far, this is a 1 of, so I am a bit uncertain, but seems Legit.)

E/N-SL-4: All Orange (Bright!) Thread - on Green Background

E/N-SL-5: Redish/Carmine Thread - on Green Background

Field Cap / Side Cap Patches:

OFF F/SC: Silver Wire on Black = Officer (there is Photo proof & collector's examples)

E/N F/SC: White / Grey-White on Black = EM/NCO (there is Photo proof & collector's

................examples)

(***) AND, there may well be other colors, Yet to be seen ? in other Collections!

Meanings of Schuma Color Combinations ? for Boards & Patches:

It is 'believed' but is not proven / documented (to my knowledge), that the Schuma

used the standard Polizei color scheme, such that:

(A) Orange = Schuma Gendarmerie-type functions

(B) Reddish / Carmine = Schuma Fire / Feurschutz-type functions

(Part of the basis for this Assumption is from: "In November 1941

Daluege issued a more detailed set of regulations. He identified the non-German

urban and rural patrolmen (Einzeldienst) as well as all non-German firemen as part

of the Schutzmannschaft. With respect to these changes, the Schutzmannschaft

was largely a new term for older offices and functions, with the difference that all

Schutzmannschaft men were clearly subordinated to German police authorities.

There were also auxiliary Schutzmannschaft men who served on work details and

carried out guard duties for the German police or the military." Link is Below

? 'the' MANY Greens ? Boards & Patches =

Different Polizei functions ? still Unknown, but could well have differentiated some

of the following:

(IMO, Various "Green & Green" Schuma 'Boards & Patches' would have been

needed (IMO) - (to ID / Differentiate specific Units) since the Schuma /

Schutzmannschaften duties / activities were so widely varied, and included:

• General Policing of the Occupied Areas;
    • Luftschutz Activities;
    • Anti-Partisan Fighting;
    • Staffing of KLagers in Occupied Areas;
    • Guarding POW's;
    • Extermination of Jews & Other Groups;
    • Labor Groups;
    • Front line fighting against the Russians;
    • and probably many other activities.
    If you wish to learn MORE about the Schuma, this is a Super Link - SCHUMA Link:

http://motlc.wiesenthal.com/site/pp....MVIuG&b=395183

It has more CONCRETE Schuma information, than I've found elsewhere.

Hopefully it is helpful, and is not redundant. ?. Txs, Dave/dblmed

Edited by dblmed

Schuma Officer's Field Cap-1

I acquired this Field Cap just recently, and it was 'Vetted' out OK, by the boys of the Forum.

I'm very excited about it - since it's Schuma (#1) & for an Officer (#2)! ......... Txs, ...Dave/dblmed

• 1 month later...

SUPER Schuma EM w Police Green Color to the Piping.

KEITH ( www.hmsbrinmaric) posted his SUPER Schuma EM w the Police Green

Center Piping present. A super Schuma EM Side Cap. Thanks to Keith!

Edited by dblmed

Really Spectacular Schuma M43 made of a Bluish Tinted Cloth Color.

KEITH ( www.hmsbrinmaric) has also posted his Really NICE Schuma M43. It has a neat bluish

tint to the cloth, plus it is in great shape. It's a Super Looker! Txs to Keith.

Schuma Mann wearing an SS Insignia M43 Cap.

(Photo is Courtesy of my friend, Wotan)

It seems that the Schuma wore whatever Uniform combinations were available to them.

Supply & Distribution of Items to the Schuma appears to have been a significant challenge.

Since the Schuma was subordinate to the SS & Polizei, unusual Uniform combinations seem to be 'routine!'

...Txs, Dave / dblmed

A quite Unusual Photo of Schuma men, along with their supervising German Police Officer & Police NCO Cadre.

(Courtesy of my friend, Askold.)

Almost ALL of the Schuma men are wearing converted Allgemeine SS Black Uniforms, which have been

locally altered. This usually consisted of adding Green (or Grey) Collars - Cuffs - & Lower Flap Pocket

fold overs. Other uniform variations are also present. The 'Schuma' side caps could be the old SS-VT ones,

with the Left sided eagle removed - or of another type. A 'Really' Special Photo!

Additional Information from Askold, regarding the above Schuma Photo:

"...This Foto shows Schuma Graduates from the Ukraine, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia who are attending a trip/conference..."

This helps greatly to explain WHY we see so many different Schuma uniform variations in the Photo, IMO. Txs to Askold. ... Dave/dblmed

Edited by dblmed