News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Folks ,

Well here is my first toe in the water of East German Tunics , i,ve always stuck to medals and badges but thought what the hell why not and snapped her up !

I,d like to hear your opinions and any information about her would be grateful !

East German Hauptmann Para Tunic :

Grant - Per our discussion in the other thread. First off this is a good period Para uniform with I believe a 1986 date code. But there are a couple of read flags that lead me to believe that it's been "enhanced" by the addition of badges to increase its potential sale value

First off is the "1st Class Classification Badges for Members of the Parachute Service". The original version of this badge is very rare. I checked my references and only 400 were issued from 1960 to 1963. So it's near impossible for a 60s badge to be worn on a 1986 uniform. There were a number of restrikes of this badge made in the early 90s by the original manufacturer.

The second issue is the 8 place ribbon bar. It's a good bar, and these things are sought after, but also appears to have been added. Would a Captain have had 20+ years of service? There is also an upside down Kampfgruppen Verdienst Medal in Bronze. Why would he have a Kampfgruppen award if he was on active service?

He is also missing a school badge, is there a hole centered above the right breast pocket that would indicate the this badge was worn?

Last off can you photograph the underside of the collar where one of the collar tabs is sewn. Is it machine sewn or hand stiched? Does it appear that other collar tabs have been removed and replaced with these?

Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

Hi Grant,

I'm surprised about the ribbon bar.

No medal Treue Dienste Silber for 10 years? Very unusual.

Hervorragender Jungaktivist? The paper is upside down.

Verdienstmedaille der Kampfgruppen der Arbeiterklasse? The paper is upside down.

Kevin, that could be for certain merits. In my collection is a set of documents for a Lieutenant General with that medal (Kampfgruppen) in silver.

Regards

Uwe

Edited by speedytop

Hi Grant,

I'm surprised about the ribbon bar.

No medal Treue Dienste Silber for 10 years? Very unusual.

Hervorragender Jungaktivist? The paper is upside down.

Verdienstmedaille der Kampfgruppen der Arbeiterklasse? The paper is upside down.

Kevin, that could be for certain merits. In my collection is a set of documents for a Lieutenant General with that medal (Kampfgruppen) in silver.

Regards

Uwe

Uwe - I missed the 10 year Treue Dienst. The Kampfgruppen were trained by the VOPO to avoid various arms control treaties. So it's unlikely that a Para Captain would have this medal. General Officers were more likely to get it as they were frequently given orders and medals from other state organizations.

Grant,

Interesting uniform to get your feet wet with. A good start to tell you what to look for in future pieces. Real para tunics are becoming increasingly hard to find. I didn't own one until redently when I bought one from a forum member. Welcome to the ranks of us uniform owners!

Regards,

Gordon

Hi all ,

Thanks for the comments , it appears i,ve got a mongrel ! :speechless1:

Would the ribbon bar be worth keeping for another tunic if i corrected the wrong way round ribbons ? :unsure:

I,ve been on the wehrmacht forum and it appears by looking at the posts on the back of the para clasp that it is one of those re-makes made by the original makers .

Kevin : there is no hole for an academy badge and the tabs appear to be hand stitched not machine stitched and they haven't gone right through to the underside .

Should i leave the tunic as is or dismantle it , sell the spares and start again ? :unsure:

I would like to keep the tunic and put a correct para badge , ribbon bar and academy badge on it but only if the basic tunic is correct .

Hi all ,

Thanks for the comments , it appears i,ve got a mongrel ! :speechless1:

Would the ribbon bar be worth keeping for another tunic if i corrected the wrong way round ribbons ? :unsure:

I,ve been on the wehrmacht forum and it appears by looking at the posts on the back of the para clasp that it is one of those re-makes made by the original makers .

Kevin : there is no hole for an academy badge and the tabs appear to be hand stitched not machine stitched and they haven't gone right through to the underside .

Should i leave the tunic as is or dismantle it , sell the spares and start again ? :unsure:

I would like to keep the tunic and put a correct para badge , ribbon bar and academy badge on it but only if the basic tunic is correct .

Grant, To me it sounds like this was an unissued tunic for which the insignia was added later. If you want to be close to authentic take off the 60s para badge and find a modern one as well as an academy badge. Replace the ribbon bar too and I believe you will be good to go.

Hand sewn collar tabs may or may not be a red flag. It's possible they are original, however I have 7 para uniforms from Private to Lieutenant Colonel all purchased from different sources and and all have machine sewn collar tabs.

Kevin

Grant,

If I were you, I would take all of the items off the uniform and replace them with things more in tune with a tunic made in this time period. The collar tabs in particular just don't sit right on the collar. Collar tabs and boards for an EM wouldn't cost that much and could be put on correctly. Kevin's comments that his tabs are all sewn on matches my own experience. There was a thread on the forum some time ago about exactly how NVA tabs were sewn in place. If I had all the boards and tabs I have in storage I'd give you a set.

Regards,

Gordon

Right ,

I,m unsure as how to approach doing the collar tabs i will look for the thread on this , there is light bobbling on the inside of the collar and cuffs so i think it has been worn a little .

I have 2 general qualification clasps grade 2 & 3 would they be ok to use ?

Also have an academy badge i assume this is the right one :

Right ,

I,m unsure as how to approach doing the collar tabs i will look for the thread on this , there is light bobbling on the inside of the collar and cuffs so i think it has been worn a little .

I have 2 general qualification clasps grade 2 & 3 would they be ok to use ?

Also have an academy badge i assume this is the right one :

All in all it's a very nice tunic :cheers:

• 1 month later...

I wish to add more "bling" to this jacket , would i be ok adding a para jump badge , general qualification clasp and sports badge ?

Yes, but since the tunic is dated II B = 2nd Quarter 1972 you would need the early general qualification badge.

Edited by ehrentitle