News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

belgium medal

Hello collector friends

Could you give me a helping hand with that award:

1. Exact description of that decoration

2. Which version and how long awarded

3. Value

Many thanks

KDVR

• 3 months later...

Old thread, but just reading it now.

Post #4 was very helpful and explains a lot on the different types seen. I do have a question though; How did you determine it was a 2nd class award without seeing the full suspension ribbon? My understanding is, these are strictly officer awards and time in service dictated which one was applicable.

I thought...and honestly, I do not know...the 2nd class award (without rosette on the suspension ribbon) was for 15 years service and the 1st class award was for 25 years?

Not a common item that I see very often.

Tim

Here's a sample of the 1st class award (not mine), but I'm looking for one. ;)

Edited by Tim B

The other question I have concerns the crown and how it attaches to the suspension. Here's a PIC showing what appears to be a pin placed in the base of the crown. Does this look like a replacement?

Tim

Dear Tim

the 2nd Class is given to officers with 25 year of service

the 1st Class is given to officiers with 25 year of service as officier

Guy

Thanks for that clarification Guy!

I never assumed anything about a person being promoted into the officer ranks having a different award, but I guess that makes sense.

We have our Warrant Officers, Limited Duty Officers, and regular Commisioned or Line Officers; the first two categories are strickly enlisted to officers programs where a non-com can be appointed into the officer grades.

So, with that, then I assume:

1) The 2nd class would go more to a enlisted man that was promoted to officer rank and eventually reached 25 years faithful service overall?

2) The 1st class would go to a commisioned officer that was an officer from the very start?

3) What about a person in the first example (1) that remained in service long enough to attain 25 years as an officer? Does he then trade in his 2nd class award for a 1st class award, or wear both?

Thanks again! :cheers:

Tim

Dear Tim

A cadet at the Royal academie is only after 2 years second Luitenant, so he will first have the second class, than the 1st, he only will wear the 1st class when he will be prometed from the 2nd to the 1st class

Guy

Okay, I think I still follow you. Here, we have our four-year degree programs, whether you go to any civilian university or military academy, you come out basically as an O-1. An O-1 would be either an Ensign (Navy) or 2nd Lieutenant (other branches). Once they graduate, then they start their active military service and are usually obligated for 6 years.

These are the ones that I would place into the second category (2) in my previous post.

What about a guy that started out as an enlisted man, say he did 10 years service, then through one avenue or another was promoted into the officer ranks. From there, he did another 15 years service. I assume, at that point, he would be entitled to the 2nd Class award. If he remained in service, say another 10 years (35 years total military service and 25 years as an officer), would he then upgrade to the 1st class award. Can you actually do 35 years??

Tim

Unfortunately, I think the pin has been replaced (why??), but I see so few of these in PICS, I really can't tell as some appear to have this pin "head" showing as well. Thoughts??

Tim

What about a guy that started out as an enlisted man, say he did 10 years service, then through one avenue or another was promoted into the officer ranks. From there, he did another 15 years service. I assume, at that point, he would be entitled to the 2nd Class award. If he remained in service, say another 10 years (35 years total military service and 25 years as an officer), would he then upgrade to the 1st class award. Can you actually do 35 years??

Tim

Dear Tim this is correct, a g?n?ral can end his service at the adge of 65

so he can do 45 years of service, I think this is the maximum

Guy

What makes this medal so appealing to me is the overall design (which I understand the Croix de Guerre was modeled after btw) and the beautiful black enamel. Really stands out with the black and brass/bronze colors.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

Unfortunately, I think the pin has been replaced (why??), but I see so few of these in PICS, I really can't tell as some appear to have this pin "head" showing as well. Thoughts??

Tim

Hey Tim,

Seems this one is French made - call me crazy but I think there is a French silver purity mark on the suspension? I think Delande made some of those in silver gilt.

Ironically, the 2nd class is marked and the 1st class (officers model) is not.

Can't quite make out what the maker's mark is. Tried to hit it from a couple of angles but, I think the background stipling is affecting the actual maker's stamping here. What was Delande's mark?

Thanks again! :cheers:

Tim

post-548-038537000 1293932358_thumb.jpg