News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

From Baikonur with love !

Hi to all,

After a recent visit in Moscow, where I went from -65 meters deep to 59th floor high...; from the Taganskii Nuclear Bunker (-65 meters) to the top of the 59th floor at "Moscow City" new restaurant, see thread here :

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35078

I will now take even more height !! :rolleyes:

Last week-end, I was in Baikonur for a Proton M rocket launch. This is a very special chance to get this opportunity to see a launch, live in Baikonur, such a mythic place, the Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan.

The launch vehicle lifted off from Pad 39. Really impressive, and one experience you will never forget!!!! :jumping::jumping:

I have taken a lof of pics. I will post some of them in the coming days, here.

These firsts will give you a small flavour. Enjoy!!! :beer:

Cheers.

Ch.

• Replies 84
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

This is the hangar where a drama occured exactly 7 years ago, beginning of May 2002.

The roof of this hangar collapsed, with 8 dead workers as a consequence.

Several reasons have been given for this accident : something falling on one of the massive fuel tanks kept inside the hangar, which would have produced a huge blast of air that caused the roof to swell and collapse, or a design miscalculation when the building, built in the 1960s, was renovated in the 1980s.

The hangar was originally built for the Soviet moon exploration program and was later used for assembling Energia booster rockets and the Buran. A full-scale test model of the Buran was trapped beneath debris after the collapse.

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

Guest Rick Research

The immensity is awe inspiring. The ruined building appears to have just collapsed... last week. No signs of rust, decay...

How active is Baikonur, these days?

Your photos seem to show a vast desert installation... with no people.

:cheers:

Hi Rick,

Yes, you're right... When one lands in Baikonur, seems quite desertic, what my pics show...

I landed in the North airport (there are two in Baikonur), the Yubileyny Airfield, the one used by Buran and Antonov 124 and 225. BTW, there was an Antonov 124 taking off with us when leaving Baikonur back to Moscow (pics will follow). It just had delivered military stuff...

In the 80s, Baikonur was said to reach a peak of more than 100.000 inhabitants. Today, officially, there are 70.000 persons. The North-West quarter of the city is called the "ghost-city". Totally empty, abandoned, and decaying... We saw it from far, but accesses are blocked by Checkpoint #1. Even in other areas of Baikonur, you can see abandoned buildings and flats. That's the case in the Proton area (the second pic I posted).

I don't know if this figure of 70.000 people is real. For sure, when we visited the city, we did not meet a lot of people... Even in the local / central market (as future pics will show) there were really few people, and the market did not seem the right size for such a big city of 70.000... Few public transports as well... No, or few private cars... So... I have gone several times in Far-East Russia, even easter than Siberia, and never saw such a deserted city...

The only real new industrial building I saw (showing signs of investement) is the Starsem one. Very new, and stylish in blue and white. It is very close to the ruined building of which I posted some photos. The air in baikonur seems very dry; maybe this explains why this ruined building seems like it has exploded yesterday...

More to come, though pics...

Cheers.

Ch.

• 1 month later...