News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

INTERNATIONAL COMMISSION FOR SUPERVISION AND CONTROL SERVICE MEDAL (ICSC)

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

INTERNATIONAL COMMISSION FOR SUPERVISION AND CONTROL SERVICE MEDAL (ICSC)

Origins:

Following the end of the Second World War, instability in French Indochina (Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia) grew into a full-fledged conflict as the Viet Minh waged a war of independence against French forces. In July 1954 a conference was held in Geneva, and accords were signed. Three separate commissions were established, one each for Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. The accords further divided Vietnam into two separate parts, North and South. The International Commission for Supervision and Control (ICSC) was charged with supervising the cease-fires and the with-drawl of French military personnel, facilitating the return of refugees to their homes and patriating of civilian and military prisoners. The commission was quite literally intended to supervise and control the implementation of the Geneva accords.

At the direction of the commission's Indian delegation, a medal was authorized by the ICSC in February 1961, although approval from the Department of National Defence did not come until March 1962. Even then, the department was still considering whether or not to institute a Canadian General Service Medal rather than allow Canadian personnel to accept medals from international organizations. The General Service Medal project was never approved, therefore the ICSC medal was sanctioned.

Criteria:

Awarded for ninety day's service ? consecutive or cumulative ? as a member of the Commission between 7 August 1954 and 28 January 1973. Person's killed while serving with the commission were automatically awarded the medal posthumously.

Insignia:

A circular antiqued bronze medal, 34mm in diameter, bearing the crossed flags of Canada and Poland, with the arms of India in the center and the dove of peace at the point where the flags cross, circumscribed by the words International Commission for Supervision and Control, with the word Peace at the base. The reverse bears a map of Indochina with the names of the three countries ? Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

Suspender:

A floral motif connects the mounting suspender to the medal: the suspender through which the ribbon passes appears to be shoots of bamboo.

Ribbon:

A 32mm wide ribbon of three equal stripes: dark green, white and red. The green represents India, the white peace and the red Canada and Poland.

Bars: None.

Other:

The medal was made by Barton's Jewelers of Bangalore, India. The recipient's name and rank were impressed on the rim in block capitals, and the impression was then filled in with white paint. This award was superseded by the ICCS Medal.

Number of Awards: 1,550

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

Interestinmg, I'd never heard of this medal - and all the more nteresting for being named.

Leigh, I would assume since it was the French pulling out, that alot of French speaking Canadians were involved.

A very interesting medal (though not in any sense "British" -- could the thread be moved?). The Indian ICSC awards are routinely named. This one is to "1028777 SWR. RATTAN SINGH, A.C.", an unusual Armoured Corps award.

I have never undestood the variance between Indian awards and those to others.

I still seek a complete group with this one. The medals are moderately common, the Videsh Seva Medal with the relevant "Hindchin" (Romanized, sorry) clasp is fairly common, the pair (or more) remains elusive.

A significant part of the various Vietnam (etc.) wars that is usually ignored.

A very interesting medal (though not in any sense "British" -- could the thread be moved?)........

No, not British, but bearing the Canadian flag & awarded to a Canadian (presumably any research on the recipient would only be possible in Canada), & therefore relevant in terms of a British & Commonwealth thread - much as, say, United Nations medals awarded to me would be, a WWI or II Croix de Guerre, or a US Bronze Star to a Commonwealth service man would be.

Personally I feel that in the circumstances the thread can have a home here & / or in "Indian", or "Vietnamese", or "Polish" or wherever Darrell chooses to post it.

I'm comfortable with whatever home or homes it finds & certainly have no objection to it remainng or being moved.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Like any UN medal, I see it as "International". But maybe that is just me.

But itys location is much less important than the medal itself? (Or who made a post.)

Could be put under "Poland" for all I care. Would make as much sense there.

Out of this discussion . . . but very confused . . . .

Like any UN medal, I see it as "International". But maybe that is just me.

But itys location is much less important than the medal itself? (Or who made a post.)

Could be put under "Poland" for all I care. Would make as much sense there.

Out of this discussion . . . but very confused . . . .

You've confused me too. Let's not trample over another of Darrells threads.

Edited by leigh kitchen

Guest Darrell

Darrell: Sorry if I interrupted your thread here.

No problem. I was a little confused where I should put this one as well ... International did pop to mind, but I think because of the "Canadian" connection, is why I settled on Commonwealth or British. Not sure I really care if some one wants it moved :cheers:

Guest Darrell

Here's a plaque to another Canadian who was there while the later Vietnam War was going on.

Bedard was R.C.O.C.

Interesting. The dates and the crest fall in line with the ICSC award time frame.

Has anyone done any research on awardees of these medals?

Edited by Darrell

Leigh, I would assume since it was the French pulling out, that alot of French speaking Canadians were involved.

I've been in the Canadian Forces for 28+ years and only met 2 chief warrant officers wearing this medal, and this was in the early 80s. Both were anglophones.