News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ross Mather asked if I had any Welsh truncheons and when I was looking for some I came across this picture - some of the truncheons are interesting and I will list them. At one time there would have been over 40 in any drawer.

From top - left:

1. brass weighted short truncheon William 1V (1830-37)

3. Bradford Borough Police 1868. This was when Sein Fein (IRA) started and they planned to seize weapons at Chester Barracks

and start an armed up-rising in Ireland. Thousands of special constables were sworn in all over the UK and the date 1868 is

common on S.C.'s truncheons. I will post the side door panel from a 'Black Maria' - old name for a horse drawn prisoners

waggon. The two leaders had been arrested and were on their way to Court in Manchester - their accomplices ambushed the Black Maria

and killed the Sgt. in charge. The two leaders escaped and went to New York - they were never captured, however, the men

who attacked the van were hanged at Manchester Belle Vue Prison. (Didn't bring the innocent Sgt. back though !)

5. Glamorganshire Police truncheon - Victorian - prob. about 1880's.

From top - right :

1. Standard teak issue truncheon - in use until the ASP took over.

2. Swansea Borough Police. Again, Victorian (1837-1901).

4. Well painted George 1V truncheon - with coat-of-arms. However, I can't remember for which town.

5. William 1V

6. A nice short Manchester truncheon - pre-dates formation of City Police, so probably George 1V

7. Very interesting old decorated truncheon for Bristol. I had this from the family, and he had taken part in the Bristol Riots (not

sure of the date - prob. mid 1850's, or, later. He was badly hurt and his truncheon splintered when he hit someone - so I

hope they were as well! I was told he eventually returned to work, but tied up his old truncheon and always carried it on duty

I hope these are of some interest?

Mervyn