News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

M1906 Hungarian Infantry Parade Dress Tunic

Gentlemen,

I have been bargaining for this tunic for some time and last Saturday, 18Apr 09, I was finally able to strike a deal that I could live with with the vendor. One of the reasons I did not buy the tunic immediately is that it does not appear in any of my reference books. I finally decided to buy it and send pictures to Tamas Baczoni, the Curator of Uniforms the Hungarian Military Museum here in Budapest. His answer arrived a few minutes ago so I can now share both his response and pictures of the tunic with the Forum members.

"It is a M1906 "dolman" tunic, worn by infantry officers of the Royal Hungarian Honv?d Army in parade dress, from 1906 to 1918. The rank badges are for a captain. The tunic is a "hungarianized" version of the waffenrock of the Common Army (note the hungarian knot on the arm) and it was introduced in the sign of "unification" of the armed forces of the monarchy, as until 1906 the RHHA-members wore traditional hungarian "atilla" tunics in parade dress, which was "too hungarian" in the eyes of the army command."

Regards,

Gordon

The collar showing the ranks stars and trim. Stars and collar trim are in silver when the buttons are yellow.

I hope to be able to identify the regiment sometime in the future. The problem here is that the KuK used 7 or 8 different shades of red trim and after 100 years it is not easy to tell what colour the red trim on this tunic should be classed as.

Edited by Gordon Craig

Gordon: Very nice! But I think it is not possible to identify the regiment of the k.u. Honv?d.. As far as I know, they all used the same.. Buttons - gold, facing colour slate gray. In the k.k. Landwehr there were numbers on buttens, but here.. Maybe if its signed with maker it could help...

here is a part of a photo, where is oberleutnant Adam Hermann of 16. Beszterczeb?nyai honved infantry regiment decorated with BMVM, wearing this kind of dolm?ny...

Edited by Iver

Gordon,

for a detailed description of K.u. Honv?d uniforms I would recommend getting hold of a copy of Kir?ly?rt ?s Haz??rt by Barcy Zolt?n and Somogyi Gy?z?. As Iver remarks, the tunic of the Honv?d infantry was rather generic and does not identify an individual regiment.

Regards

Glenn

Rick,

The makers lable is still present but has been rendered unreadable.

As for identifying the infantry regiments of the KuK that should theoretically be possible. The "EGALISIRUNGS-FARBEN-SCHEMA der INFANTRIE " REGIMENTAL FACING COLOURS of the KuK INFANTRY- as reproduced in "The Emporer's Coat In the First World War" lists German (Austrian) and Hungarian infantry regiments by "Facing Colour" - and Yellow buttons or White buttons. For example, Hungarian infantry regiment 37 has a regimental colour of "Scarlet" and "Yellow Buttons". The problem comes in when you consider that the list also includes regiments with "Amaranth Red" 'Lobster Red" "Madder Red" "Wine Red" "Pale Red" "Rose Red" "Cherry Red" "Carmine" "Dark Red" and "Red Brown". Each of the above shades of red has a regiment listed with yellow and white buttons except for "Wine Red" which is only applicable to German regiments. The list does provide a colour chart for each of the 28 colours listed.

Glenn,

Thanks for the name of the suggested reference book. That is one I have not heard of before. I will have to see if I can obtain a copy before I leave Budapest this summer.

Iver,

Thanks for the photo. Nice to have a picture of this kind of tunic in wear.

Charles,

I almost didn't buy this tunic. It has been in the store for some time and I guess the poor condition of the intereior scarred people away. Obviously I made the correct decision!

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Gordon: But the problem is, that U have a tunic of a Honv?d infantry (hungarian "Landwehr"), not of a hungarian regiment of Gemeinsames Heer... there was only one facing colour and one type of buttons...

Iver,

Sorry for my mistake. I was not fully conversant with the structure of the Austro-Hungarian military when I made my post. After your comments I did some research and am more conversant with it.

So I guess I can never assign a regiment to this tunic. From what you said the Honv?d infantry all wore the same tunics. New information to me and very useful. Thanks for your participation in the thread.

Charles,

Unfortunately not the "smoke filled" junque shop. It probably would have been cheaper there than in the militaria shop on Vienna.

Regards,

Gordon