News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2 Times A Loser? A Nassauer with Don Carlos in Spain?

Guest Rick Research

This fellow from an 1860s Austrian family's album is a ?? Generalmajor wearing Commander 1st Class of the Nassau Civil and Military Order of Adolph.

The name pencilled on it is quite common to many of the album photos: "Graf Notice" (or ? Notiec?)

However, the reverse is quite startling:

In Spanish:

"To my dear friend

and comrade in arms

Don Eduardo

Conde de Boos-Waldeck

in remembrance

of better times

Long live the cause of legitimacy!"

Uh... :unsure::speechless1:

Can't find Nostice/Nostiec in ANYTHING.

Querido amigo Eduard Graf von Boos-Waldeck Oberstlieutenant aD, was a Kammerherr in Nassau in 1856. He had Russian Order of St. Anna 2nd, Russian Stanislaus 2nd, Brunswick House Order-Commander 2nd, Spanish San Fernando 1st Class, Prussian Red Eagle 3rd, Malta-Knight. Same awards as Oberst ? la Suite in 1864.

There were only 11 living holders of the Adolph Commander 1st with swords in 1861 and 16 in 1864 (neither "Nostice" nor Boos-Waldeck among them) so...

perhaps if the WEIRD uniform is something anyone recognizes (Austrian style collar rank AND shoulder boards) perhaps a name might be possible for this fellow...

and, oh yes, here is Duke Adolph of Nassau himself:

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Ooooooooooooooo! :jumping:

I have LOTS of Cartes de Visite from this album and am seriously wondering about "identifications" on the rst of them, given this one! :speechless1:

The range of uniforms is quite weird, though most were taken in Vienna.

It was obviously assembled by an English woman (some of the jottings are in that language) who married into the Boos-Waldeck family.

Will post the others in a new Nassau thread.... no more Spanish! Have a Maria Theresa winner in there if I am seeing the faded sepia correctly.

(Am still wondering why two Germans would have communicated with each other in Spanish.... :rolleyes: )

PS What the heck were Nassauers doing IN the Carlist Wars????? :speechless1::speechless1: :speechless1:

Rick,

stumbled across an article about General Roth in the 1985 Deutsches Soldatenjahrbuch.

Born 27 Sep 1812 in Gernsbach/Baden as the son of an evangelical priest. He initially entered Baden service and took part in that capacity in the First Carlist War in 1834. On the return from that war he was accepted into Nassau service as an Hautmann ? la suite.. Promoted to Major on 1.4.43, Oberstlieutenant on 24.8 54, Oberst on 1.5.55 and Generalmajor on 1.2.65.

5.3.54: He was Inspector of the 1. Infanterieabteilung in Weilburg and Diez.

1854-1865: Commander of 1. Infanterieregiment. He was relieved of his command following the 1866 campaign and died on 10 April 1885 at Gernsbach in Baden.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

?Muchas obligado, Glenn! :cheers:

I have more, equally faded, indistinct-- and doubtless mis-labelled! :catjava: :cheeky:

Very interesting thread

About 250 foreign volunteers fought in the carlistes rows.

The majority was French, but also there were Portuguese, British, Belgian and piamonteses.

Some of them specially were known by the books that they published with his experiences of the war

- the English C. F. Henningsen,

- the Frenchs Alfonso Barres de Molard and Alexis Sabatier

- the Germans Adolph Loning, Felix Lichnowsky, von Rahden and specially August von Goeben, of whom I also have the news of being decorated with the Cross of Saint Fernando of 1? class

I'm "adjust" the pic with a colour plaque of Saint Fernando

Guest Rick Research

For Antonio-- these are all the people with Spanish awards from the 1864 "Staats- und Adre?-Handbuch des Herzogtums Nassau."

List of abbreviations for the Spanish awards:

These three pages are the only ones with people who had Spanish awards. "Don Eduardo" is at the bottom of this one:

Guest Rick Research

and here is then-Colonel Roth, listing three Spanish Medals for battles!

I hope this helps add some names to your list of German volunteer officers! :cheers:

Hello again

Once watched with thoroughness the contributions, I only can thanks for them

Of its reading, if I am not mistaken, arise some commentaries and doubts again to me

- the first photography would be of Eduard von Boos-Waldeck, awarded with a cross of first class of San Fernando?

- Its brother? Joseph, awarded with those of first and second class?

- Robert Maximilian Roth, awarded with several carlist awards, just as the rest of the spanish decorations, I suppose also granted by king Carlos V

- Knight Cross of the Order of Carlos III, the cross of San Fernando of third class, the Knight Cross of the Order of Isabel the Catholic, and the Medals of Oriamendi (1837), Huesca (1837) and Villar de los Navarros (8.9.1837).

Three very rare medals of which in Spanish books of decorations (Guerra, Gr?valos, etc), they only appear drawings, images of real pieces

Any complementary information on carlists concessions to the military German or of other countries are very welcome

Guest Rick Research

Photograph was presented by General Roth to his old comrade in arms Eduard Graf von Boos-Waldeck. I don't know if the other Boos-Waldeck was a brother or a cousin.

I wish the photos in this album were better quality-- and that General Roth had WORN those Spanish medals on his uniform! :(

• 6 months later...

Photograph was presented by General Roth to his old comrade in arms Eduard Graf von Boos-Waldeck. I don't know if the other Boos-Waldeck was a brother or a cousin.

I wish the photos in this album were better quality-- and that General Roth had WORN those Spanish medals on his uniform! sad.gif

Having found this thread, I immediately registered as a user. My Great-Great Grandfather was the Graf Eduard Boos-Waldeck! I have a photo of a painting of him where wearing his Spanish Military costume, painted in 1848. It was too large a file to post, perhaps someone can help me do it. Upon his death in 1904, at 91 years of age, these were his announced titles:

Grand Ducal Luxemburg Chamberlain and Colonel, retired

Knight of the Sovereign Order of Malta

Grand Cross of the Order of Adolf von Nassau, with Swords

Commander of the Imperial Russian Skt. Anna and Stanislaus Order

First Class Knight of the Royal Spanish Military Sovereign Order of the Holy Ferdinand

The Joseph Boos-Waldeck also named, was an elder brother of Eduard's.

The Boos-Waldeck family was very small, and the first English speaking woman,was my Grandmother, Eduard's son Felix's daughter.

Eduard was considered a family outcast, as he married Katharina Frohlich, a commoner.

Guest Rick Research

Unfortunately ALL of the Cartes de Visite are of a uniformly poor, faded sepia "quality." there are a number of children with labels such as "Papa." :banger:

There is a small child "Felix" (Junior?) glumly posed by a summer folding chair and two older boys labelled (in English) "Papa & his little uncle his mother's brother." Another of a slightly older child "Felix" is posed with curly ringlets and a shotgun propped under his chin ( :speechless1: ) Horses and a dog ("Plato") got equal coverage!!!

NONE are dated, and a number of the officers are mind-bogglingly mis-identified. :speechless:

Unfortunately ALL of the Cartes de Visite are of a uniformly poor, faded sepia "quality." there are a number of children with labels such as "Papa." banger.gif

There is a small child "Felix" (Junior?) glumly posed by a summer folding chair and two older boys labelled (in English) "Papa & his little uncle his mother's brother." Another of a slightly older child "Felix" is posed with curly ringlets and a shotgun propped under his chin ( speechless1.gif ) Horses and a dog ("Plato") got equal coverage!!!

NONE are dated, and a number of the officers are mind-bogglingly mis-identified. speechless.gif

Eduard Boos-Waldeck's eldest son was Felix born in 1850, he was my Great-Grandfather.

I would love to see these photos! My e-mail is jamesvprice@yahoo.com

is that verbotten? After the first Carlist's war, Joseph Boos-Waldeck travelled to Texas

where he spent over a year in another failed endevour, that being German colonization

in the Texas Republic.

Guest Rick Research

I'll try tweaking them, but most are not that great.

haven't used email in years. (Don't have an iberry or any of THAT either).

Will post what I can make legible of kiddos from the album on Friday. :beer:

Guest Rick Research

You'll have to make of these what you can, since there are no explanations, nor any adult FAMILY members. Lots of neighbors, visiting hunting aristocrats, stray officers from both armies, and numbers of clergymen of both persuasions (C & P).

Dated Wien 10.10. 1885 "Hugo B. Waldeck" as some sort of boy military school cadet:

A VERY small "Felix," but photographer was from Prague. NONE DATED unless indicated:

A completely anonymous boy (I'm trying to guess ages and put them in unknown-chronological order)taken by a photographer in Dessau-- so I'm guessing before the catastrophe of 1866:

Guest Rick Research

Just "Felix" is all this one says. Winter was the Prague photographer not the season, though dated 1862 like several of the officers. If this is YOUR born 1850 Felix, he seems awful small and Little Lord Fauntleroy-ey for 12! :blush::speechless1:

Black and white doesn't help much since these are all bleached sepia. :(

The dog was obviously anticipating an accident with the miniature shotgun!!!! :rolleyes:

Guest Rick Research

Sample of the pages and handwriting "Papa + his little uncle his mothers brother" (in English). No indication which was which, or date :banger: and another Prague photographer:

Any help to your family tree?

These are all the family ones present. :beer:

If there are any you'd like BIGGER, can do, but alas no BETTER since they are in the state they are.

Edited by Rick Research

Thank you for this posting. The use of English in the photo album continues to

intrigue me, as I know of no marriages to English women occurring in Europe.

Felix Boos-Waldeck appeared in the USA, as far as I can tell, undocumented around 1885.

His younger brother, Franz, died in 1892 at 36. I have a copy of Eduard B-W's

will (1902) with no mention of any children. The young Hugo B. Waldeck was the son

of Eduard's nephew, Graf Philipp. Here again the family ends up on the losing side of

the stick! Hugo's brother, Alexander B-W had the misfortune to have been in the (his)

auto directly behind Franz-Ferdinand at Sarajevo; June 28, 1914. The bomb

tossed by Cabrinovic bounced off the Arch-Duke's car and exploded under Alexander's.

He never fully recovered from his wounds and died in 1920 at the age of 46. Franz

Ferdinand, on the other hand, would be dead 4 hours later.

Is the source of these photos in Germany or Austria?

Guest Rick Research

No, from a much battered Cartes de Viste album. Still trying to figure out who a number of mis-identified 1860s era Nassau, Austrian (and 1 Bavarian) officers are-- up in the Historic Photographs section. Images are mostly so faded it is difficult to even make out faces.

Whoever "labelled" them very often got them COMPLETELY wrong (viz nassau General Roth "identified" as "Graf Nostic" etc etc etc). I can only assume that a mother identified children better than old visiting military types and hunting pals. Lots of elderly gents in knee pants with shotguns, though all visitors and none family.