News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Corps Commissar's Cigarette Case - 1937

I hope you can read the inscription. It is "Корпускому комисару Ансе М.Я. 1937г.", or a 1937 presentation cigarette case to Corps Commissar Anse. If you look for a minute, you can also see a stylized MA. If the latch opens on the right, then the MA would be on the front and the inscription on the back.

There isn't anything special about the inside except that the straps that hold the cigarettes in are intact. Who knows, maybe they have been replaced along the way. The hinges are in perfect condition, no damage and they work well. There is an "800" next to the latch on both sides, and a hallmark that looks like maybe a beehive. However, on closer inspection I'd have to say that it is merely silver plated. I think I would have preferred to dig a little deeper and given him the real silver rather than risk having a corps commissar irritated at me. 1937 was a real bad time for that.

I bought a couple of things from his family. I'll post his jeton next.

Chuck

Well as already mentioned the reason that he isn't list in my database is that he ran out of luck before the war. Here is what I got on him (though I think the name is Apse):

Martin Janovich Apse (1893-1942). Corps Commissar, Latvian, member of VKP since 1912. Assistant Commanding Officer XIX Rifle Corps on Political Affairs. In 1937 Member of the Military council (Political Commissar) Transcaucasian MD. Arrested and later condemned on 03.09.1939 to 25+5 years imprisonment. He died in the Corrective Labour Camps system in 1942. He was rehabilitated on 27.10.1956.

Kind Regards

Steen Ammentorp

The Generals of World War II

Edited by Steen Ammentorp

Well as already mentioned the reason that he isn't list in my database is that he ran out of luck before the war. Here is what I got on him (though I think the name is Apse):

Martin Janovich Apse (1893-1942). Corps Commissar, Latvian, member of VKP since 1912. Assistant Commanding Officer XIX Rifle Corps on Political Affairs. In 1937 Member of the Military council (Political Commissar) Transcaucasian MD. Arrested and later condemned on 03.09.1939 to 25+5 years imprisonment. He died in the Corrective Labour Camps system in 1942. He was rehabilitated on 27.10.1956.

Kind Regards

Steen Ammentorp

Wow. That is some terrific research. Thank you very much.

All of the information fits this guy -- the initials, the RBC, the commissar rank, the Transcaucasus region, everything except the Apse v. Anse spelling. On further review, I can accept that it is Apse, even though the letter is inconsistent with the same letter in his title. Maybe that's just the nature of engraving.

As before, I get a strange feeling when I'm holding something like this. I'm sure that this guy carried and was proud of this little case and he probably felt relatively secure in his powerful position. Then, two years later, arrested and, for all practical purposes, condemned. What a fall from grace.

My hat is off to your research skills and knowledge. In addition, pleased to meet you.

Chuck

Guest Rick Research

:jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

A life AND a death recalled from obscurity, remembered.

Goosebumps time again.

Ah, this place is grand-- and so are the people!!! :cheers:

Glad to be of service.

Regarding his name then of course my sources is not primary sources while yours is, so I may be mistaken about the name, though he is mentioned as Apse in different sources.

Btw. He was awarded the Uzbek SSR Red Banner of Labour in 1928 and I believe that he was a delegate of the 17th Party Congress in 1934. At least there was a M.Ja. Apse (member since 1912) as a delegate from Leningrad. Maybe someone will be able to provide further details on him with this information.

Kind Regards

Steen Ammentorp

Edited by Steen Ammentorp